PDA

View Full Version : Clearance required to use high speed exit?

RJ.146
27th Feb 2017, 13:16
Hi All,
I'm curious about the use of High Speed Exits, and if a clearance to use a high speed is required? I've had a look at Part SERA, CAP413 and others and can't find much on the subject.

For Instance, if I were to land and not receive instructions to the contrary would it be acceptable to assume I may vacate onto a rapid exit taxi way and hold prior to the adjacent taxiway? Would lead off lights affect the situation?

Thanks!

RJ :ok:

chevvron
27th Feb 2017, 15:27
Rather than specifying a particular exit (which could spur you to brake heavily and burst a tyre) I would always say 'vacate first convenient left/right'.

ZOOKER
27th Feb 2017, 19:46
I'm with Looking and chevvron. First convenient unless told otherwise.

cossack
28th Feb 2017, 04:40
No specific clearance is required but it is always appreciated if you get off as soon as able.
All exits are available unless NOTAMed closed or I tell you otherwise. If I want you to target a later exit than your type would normally make, then I will state that too on first contact.
I will also add a "take your time" if there is no need to brake hard or keep too high a speed for too long.

good egg
28th Feb 2017, 07:45
There are some airports with exits which look a little like RETs but aren't...probably worth looking at AIP for specific airport and checking...