PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines / Twa Boeing 767-300 Incident At Lhr

A300Man
9th Jul 2002, 09:21
Witnessed a TWA Boeing 767-300 make an emergency landing at LHR on Saturday, 6th July 2002, at around 13:50 hrs. Didn't manage to follow-up with the incident.

Fire trucks and police in attendance. Aircraft proceeded to park semi-remotely at T3.

Anyone know what happened? I am advised that it was definitely an uuscheduled stop and the aircraft was neither originating or destined to LHR.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Jul 2002, 16:30
Don't recall a TWA diversion... and I would remember because they're A) very rare at LHR and B) the greatest guys on earth on the R/T! We had a diversion of one of the regular US airlines (can't recall which) but it was nothing to get too excited about. Also had a Virgin flight div back with a sick crew member. All boringly routine I'm afraid.

1stspotter
9th Jul 2002, 16:55
Hi,

The B767 (N367TW) had an engine failure just after takeoff at London Gatwick. The destination of the flight was St. Louis.
The cause was a compressor stall.

Not sure why the aircraft diverted to LHR. Most likely because LHR has much more connnections to the USA than Gatwick so it was easier to rebook the pax on other flights after landing at LHR.

regards,
Marcel

southern duel
9th Jul 2002, 17:42
The reason the aircraft diverted into LHR is simple.
The US airlines tend to divert into LHR because they have larger maintenance teams available.

AA and UA even when departing CDG or FRA divert into LHR if they have aproblem

This aircraft did have a compressor problem which resulted in a overweight landing. The Pax were bussed back to LGW for other flights as St Louis is not a destination operated from Heathrow.
And last but not least It was an ex TWA aircraft which is now operated by American Airlines

:p

A300Man
10th Jul 2002, 16:16
The aircraft was in full TWA livery. Maybe the last time that LHR will see such a thing!!!!

Glad all OK. Landing roll was long and runway was closed for maybe 10 minutes maximum afterwards.

Thanks for your replies guys

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jul 2002, 16:04
Yawnn.. Isn't it incredible what some people get worked up about....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz