PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL to UK PPL?

Ebbie 2003
22nd Feb 2017, 14:42
I have been out of the Uk for over a decade and during that time I have obtained my FAA PPL.

Thinking of maybe returning to the UK in the next couple of years and would like to stay flying.

Now here's the thing. I hear all these rumours about JAR, EASA etc. and rather non-specific changes to rules of FAA PPL's in the UK.

Twenty five years ago my brother had an FAA PPL, he had a share in and flew a G reg Aiglon even in Europe with a letter sent to various authorites - but I hear things have changed.

So does anyone have a simple answer to the questions?

What do I have to do the fly in the UK with my current PPL? The rumours say bin it and do all the EASA training from scratch - just too expensive and time consuming.

And, what do I have to do if I want to bring my US registered airplane back, I am rather fond of it?

S-Works
22nd Feb 2017, 17:35
If yoI have 100hrs then it's a couple of exams and training to pass an LST. Easy.

MrAverage
23rd Feb 2017, 07:49
You can use your FAA licence until 8th April without any formalities. After that date you can get a one year validation, or convert as bose-x has stated. (Unless the April date is deferred further).

You can still fly N reg in the UK, unless Europe forces us to stop allowing that too!

darkroomsource
23rd Feb 2017, 15:17
What do we think will happen after Brexit actually happens?

S-Works
23rd Feb 2017, 15:26
Nothing, the UK have already stated that we are staying part of EASA. Whilst I am not going to debate Brexit, leaving EASA would be absolutely catastrophic for UK aviation. We really would be stuck on fraggle rock.