PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed PPL

Hansol
20th Feb 2017, 11:48
Apologies if this has been done to death here. My JAR PPL expired around 2006 and i now want to come back to flying in the UK. What do you suggest is the simplest route? Pure leisure flying only.

pilotjimbo
20th Feb 2017, 12:55
It's not your PPL that's lapsed, it's your SEP rating. If you haven't flown for 10 years I'd suggest getting yourself to a local flying club and doing a couple of hours with an instructor before getting your renewal.

MrAverage
20th Feb 2017, 17:34
JAR PPLs had a validity. The OPs licence has definitely lapsed pilotjimbo, not just the rating. He needs to go to a Head of Training for an assessment of minimum training required, before an LPC with an examiner and an application for an EASA PPL, or LAPL.

Are you really on the Scilly Isles Hansol?

ChickenHouse
21st Feb 2017, 07:52
Apologies if this has been done to death here. My JAR PPL expired around 2006 and i now want to come back to flying in the UK. What do you suggest is the simplest route? Pure leisure flying only.
Talk to an ATO, you need to convert to Part.FCL. Did you add CVFR to your JAR PPL? If not, you may need also additional training to be able to convert anyways.

BEagle
21st Feb 2017, 08:25
JAR PPLs had a validity. The OPs licence has definitely lapsed pilotjimbo, not just the rating. He needs to go to a Head of Training for an assessment of minimum training required, before an LPC with an examiner and an application for an EASA PPL, or LAPL....is the correct answer!

The assessment and associated refresher training may all be conducted at a RF - there is no need to go to an ATO. The associated forms may also be signed off by the RF.

Don't forget your FRTOL and English language proficiency requirements!

flyingpony
14th Mar 2017, 15:21
The assessment and associated refresher training may all be conducted at a RF - there is no need to go to an ATO. The associated forms may also be signed off by the RF.

Sorry to hijack the thread- I'm in the same situation across the pond, a lapsed CAA-issued JAR PPL and lapsed SEP. Do you know if the RF option for training/LPC applies outside of the UK, at an Irish RTF? Or is that some very wishful thinking?

Whopity
14th Mar 2017, 23:44
Do you know if the RF option for training/LPC applies outside of the UK, at an Irish RTF? As they both come under the same EASA rules it should make no difference.

Ebbie 2003
15th Mar 2017, 15:40
Hello one and all - the rules concerning ratings and the alphabet soup organisations confuses me greatly; this may not be the right place to ask but I see some expertise with the acronyms.

I an British but have lived outside the UK for well over a decade, during which time I learned to fly in the US. Prior to leaving the Uk my brother had a share in an airplane and an FAA licence - he was able to fly in the UK and in other countries in Europe with the permission of their aviation regulators.

Now here's my question - if I visit the UK this summer and would like to do some flying i.e solo (assuming someone will rent me an airplane!) jut what would I have to do in connection with licencing to be legal? Would it be different if the airplane were Uk or US registered?