PDA

View Full Version : Do airlines approve of this ?

cyflyer
19th Feb 2017, 08:46
I know airlines are sensitive to adverse publicity nowadays when not approved, I've had pilot acquaintances refuse a photo of them in the cockpit even when on the ground while disembarking, incase it gets put on the internet and the company sees it, so spotting this item of the female flight crew of an airline on a major news outlet, would this be approved be her company , Pegasus ? I think its unusual nawadays.

Glamorous airline pilot becomes Instagram sensation with stunning snaps from cockpit and exotic destinations she's paid to visit (http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/travel/glamorous-airline-pilot-becomes-instagram-sensation-with-stunning-snaps-from-cockpit-and-exotic-destinations-shes-paid-to-visit/ar-AAn394C?li=BBoPOOl&ocid=mailsignout)

wiggy
19th Feb 2017, 08:53
From what I have seen it's a bit like employees posting on Facebook - the company will tacitly "approve" of it as long as what is posted reinforces "the brand", if it gets a bit close the edge and perhaps just one person in management decides something posted compromises the company image..( the classic usually being being "here we are off duty...") the door won't hit your backside on the way out.

You need to be really careful with comments and images.....we've certainly had plenty of Facebook casualties, mainly cabin crew but also at least one pilot..

Magplug
19th Feb 2017, 09:09
I don't think those 'glamorous' destinations have much to do with where Pegasus 737 pilots night-stop. However, well done to her for doing her bit for the girls in our industry.

BEagle
19th Feb 2017, 09:35
She has seen the Northern Lights, been on safari in Tanzania and landed in Saudi Arabia with an all-female flight crew, where women are banned from driving.

Well done, those ladies! Perhaps the driving ban might one day be lifted? Although I suspect that the real reason for the ban (from my Gulf War 1 experiences) is that the standard of the average male drivers in the Kingdom is so mediocre that the ladies would probably only show them up!

Basil
19th Feb 2017, 09:40
Pity about the shoes and did we check the intake for FOD?
Button the jacket and shirt and get yer tie done up.
Pic on the board :ok:

I suspect management are in on this . . .

wiggy
19th Feb 2017, 09:48
I suspect management are in on this . . .

Basil

I wouldn't be suprised..our management pushed a few years back for our new joiners to get involved in a company Facebook page/account (?), assuming all the newbies would do would be sing the company's praises, and therefore said page/account would be free PR for the company.

Needless to say the reality quickly turned into something somewhat different, and there were (and continue to be) terminations as a result.

CATIIIB
19th Feb 2017, 09:49
Management won't dare touch it!

ATC Watcher
19th Feb 2017, 09:57
Common ! No harm done to anyone and promoting women in Aviation as well as the airline . Who besides old grumpy men would be against this ?

dsc810
19th Feb 2017, 09:58
Here one notorious instagram feed of cockpit photos interspersed with here we are off duty frolics once highlighted in the Daily Wail
https://www.instagram.com/pilotmaria/?hl=en
All from the me me me generation.....

wiggy
19th Feb 2017, 10:08
ATC Watcher

Have you read the OP's specific question: " would this be approved be her company "? (sic.)

I haven't seen anybody say they are against her or her promoting women in aviation, she has done a good job and good luck to her but the reality is that in many companies she would probably need to be cautious about straying "off piste"...which TBF she doesn' appear to have done so far.

HeartyMeatballs
19th Feb 2017, 10:34
There are a few of these around the world. EK have a cringeworthy Dutch guy, QF Link have a captain doing it and QR have an A320 doing it. It's more 'look at me, are me and my life amazing?' than everything else. They may look pretty, it may make the job look fun but we all know they're BSing. Expect more of these, particularly from ME3 now that we all know they're grim to work for. As with all social media, people are very selective about posting and generally try to spin things so that only the positives appear online.

Yes, you've landed a 777 somewhere glamorous and taken your selfie, you rock those Ray Bans, you've cleverly managed to get your Breitling watch in the snap, whilst catching an attractive hostile or two, but you've been up since 2300 last night, you're on min rest then it's back, min rest at home only to do it again the day after. Two days off then it's ULH for 2.5 days down route, where you'll spend the first day and a half recovering, you'll feel awful and will then have to rest for the return flight, crossing half a dozen time zones back to the ME, thousands of miles from your family for 2 days off before a couple of night turns to India, month in month out working 100 hours a month. Still, looks lovely on instagram.

At my outfit this kind of thing would be a fast track to tea no biscuits. As crew get younger expect more of this. I spotted a FO at another airline taking selfies during his walk around yesterday. Nice to see generation me have their priorities right.

Capn Bloggs
19th Feb 2017, 10:44
Tie: shabby! Selfie stick on yacht: "that's a big one!"

With that surname, I wouldn't be arguing... ;)

Loose rivets
19th Feb 2017, 10:49
I flew with Yvonne Pope Sintes on some of her first freighting flights. It was a little less glamorous on the DC3, but the German press nevertheless turned out to meet us, with flash bulbs popping. The main question seemed to be: would she be wearing skirt or trousers?

Oh-2-blimy in freezing conditions on a Dak. They had to be kidding.

This modern thing of opening one's life to the masses can so often turn around and bite. Just one mistake while doing all this posing and her blue sky will turn grey and fall on her.

Human nature is more unpredictable than the weather.

Hotel Tango
19th Feb 2017, 10:59
Some airlines are just more forward thinking than other stuffy ones. :) Airline management is also gradually becoming younger and thus more in tune and tolerant with the modern ways and social media. Of course it needs to stay within the bounds of good taste. As far as I'm concerned, as long as she does her job safely, efficiently and professionally, she can click away.

ATC Watcher
19th Feb 2017, 11:02
Loose rivets :This modern thing of opening one's life to the masses can so often turn around and bite. Just one mistake while doing all this posing and her blue sky will turn grey and fall on her.

How very true...I follow 100% you on that one . But we will not turn back the times and the smartphone with the forward camera is here to stay for a while...We have to adapt to those kids behavior , and not the other way around.

Chris Scott
19th Feb 2017, 12:54
Good-looking young woman but I must admit to mixed feelings on this one. If it is a PR stunt, I''m not sure any British airline would risk the wrath of the feminist brigade over here. Some of the photos of her lolling around on the job (pun not intended :eek: ) do seem, let's say... a bit unprofessional. Cue accusations of blatant sexism in the P-C west. Would a good-looking bloke get away with equivalent behaviour?

The other side of me sees this as harmless fun.

I wonder if S/F/O Eser Aksan Erdogan is related to the Turkish president.

sitigeltfel
19th Feb 2017, 13:13
Erdogan is a fairly common family name, and the lady was brought up in the Netherlands.

Piltdown Man
19th Feb 2017, 14:57
She's done well! She's been to lots of lovely looking places and actually managed to have enough time off to enjoy the destination. I hope she helps us all do the same. On a more serious note though, I hope more girls decide to earn a living flying. There is no good reason why they shouldn't, apart maybe from that girls have sufficient common sense to do something else. As to what her employers think we'll never know but providing she doesn't bring them into disrepute I'm sure they'll let her carry on posting.

recall_checked
19th Feb 2017, 15:43
"Recent trip to Mexico" and "Rio" on a Pegasus 737?

In other words, she's been on holiday and took some photos.

4Greens
19th Feb 2017, 16:10
Why are female pilots better than men?

Because they have to be !

Twinstar2007
19th Feb 2017, 16:17
I am confused, women claim they are unfairly treated in getting a job in aviation, but I have heard a few in our company who play that card to their advantage by saying they will take advantage to get promotion etc, I have to say this creates a lack of respect among your colleagues, some say they don't like to be treated differently yet they make a song and dance about women in aviation, I wish they stop living in the past and move with time, aviation is open to everyone and rightly so.

NutLoose
19th Feb 2017, 16:22
It just struck me as all a bit tacky.

inducedrag
19th Feb 2017, 16:30
https://timepass.com.pk/pia-pilot-selfies-became-viral-in-no-time/

student88
19th Feb 2017, 16:47
YAWN - I can't bare these Instagram pilots.

pax britanica
19th Feb 2017, 18:03
Anyone who does this in today's world of blame culture , 'media 'policy' , corporate image guidelines is taking a big risk. Frankly they are more likely to get fired, oh sorry I mean terminated, by some process driven young manager than some gruff oldie who at least understands that sometimes people do silly but not harmful things and that a few words of advice about remembering who signs your paycheck will get a round the company and prevent any recurrence

CRayner
19th Feb 2017, 18:29
YAWN - I can't bare these Instagram pilots.
A gentleman usually waits for a lady to bare herself.

JumpJumpJump
19th Feb 2017, 23:43
There is something wrong with the article.... Journalistically, it doesn't read correctly.... I think it was writtend by a marketing department and sold to MSN.

In general, these types of things annoy me, do you remember those stories written by Will something in Aero Magazine in the UK about 15 years back, the student pilot spending Daddy's Money at Oxford FS?

jack11111
19th Feb 2017, 23:56
She's living the dream...doing a good job. Don't let the green monster eat you up.

parabellum
20th Feb 2017, 03:10
If the iPhone had been around 25 years ago I'm sure we would have seen similar then.

If the young ladies are going to hang out the DV window, on the tarmac, like that shouldn't they be wearing a hard hat and a HiViz vest? ;)

Capn Bloggs
20th Feb 2017, 03:15
shouldn't they be wearing a hard hat and a HiViz vest?
What, and nothing else?! :)

oblivia
20th Feb 2017, 08:24
I mean, who in their right mind could be narcissistic enough to risk termination for a few "Likes" on Facebook?

She's a female pilot working in a Muslim country. I'd say she's a great role model for young girls in Turkey. And clearly far braver than you.

Cirrussy
20th Feb 2017, 08:49
I can't see a great deal not to approve of in those pictures!

wiggy
20th Feb 2017, 09:26
ElZilcho

I know where you're coming from - sounds like our airline has similar policies to yours.

Regardless of "rights" I suspect most Ops Manuals/companies have clauses about social media, or similar, and failing that some clause somewhere about behaviour that might be construed as reflecting badly on the brand.

By all means carefully selfie/post away, but certainly coupling your posts in with your company and it's brand is making yourself a hostage to fortune.

M-ONGO
20th Feb 2017, 09:54
Well, I suppose it's better than taking a picture of yourself (as a male) wearing stockings in the LHS of Big Airways.

Reverserbucket
20th Feb 2017, 10:44
If these images were company sanctioned, from a professional point of view the undone top button, loose tie and low-quality looking shoes do nothing to promote the standards of Pegasus. I've flown with a number of female pilots who seem to think it's acceptable to adapt the uniform standards to suit their own preferences - non-issue trousers for example (tapered/flared) and inappropriate footwear are not only more comfortable but 'way' cooler than the old fashioned stuff the company provides. I know most of us take off our ties and make ourselves a little more relaxed once in the privacy of the flightdeck (some more so than others) but from a professional perspective, I would not want more relaxed images of me on the internet. My company requires jackets to be buttoned when not seated in public for example so posting images in a public place in a pose contrary to company policy surely constitutes the same, or am I just getting old :(

Reverserbucket
20th Feb 2017, 11:15
Have just looked at pilotmaria's Instagram images. Very nice and I've enjoyed another Ryanair crewmember's pictures in the past from the privacy of my hotel room (she's cabin not flightdeck though). I notice pilotmaria appears to own a great collection of lanyards - maybe a little light social media sponsorship going on perhaps? Seriously though, this stuff is endemic of the P2F narcissistic younger first officers I've seen around over the past few years. Sat next to a UK operator FO last week who was wearing multicoloured striped socks, winklepickers, top button undone and with a fag sitting behind his ear whilst wired for sound in the busy terminal Starbucks. No belt either so his trousers had ridden down displaying shirt tails and a pair of brightly coloured boxers. What's going on in this so called profession? Does this really go unchecked in some companies? I've always been under the strong impression that when in uniform I represent the company and am their pubic face when wearing it regardless of whether I'm on duty. Is this stuff just not taught anymore or is there a sense of entitlement these days that paying for training, a type-rating or worse affords these individuals?

FZRA
20th Feb 2017, 13:30
Is this stuff just not taught anymore or is there a sense of entitlement these days that paying for training, a type-rating or worse affords these individuals?

Please don't tar us all with the same brush. I'm a relatively new FO and must admit to being very proud to put on the uniform and wear it properly, top buttons and all. Conversely, one of my training Captain's rarely wore his tie and jacket because "why should I start my duty hot and sweaty?".

With regards to Instagram (and other social media), I don't have a problem with people sharing photos/videos for others to see what goes on behind the cockpit door, and some of the unique views that we're lucky enough to see. I think there's still an element of mystery/awe when it comes to airline flying that the general public find interesting. For example, I used to watch Just Planes "from the cockpit" videos as a kid and it really fed my desire to pursue the career.

However, I think that using the cockpit and your uniform to take selfies for your own gratification and mainstream media attention is a slippery slope, and takes it a step too far.

atr-drivr
20th Feb 2017, 13:38
Reverser, in total agreement with your statement. I have seen many an FO and unfortunately several Captains with the same "I look cool wearing what I want to" etc attitude. One FO has the spikey hair with blonde frosty tips in a buzz cut with designs buzzed in the sides of her hair. She was in uniform and DHing on my flight...was embarrassed to the point of going down the jetway and waiting for the plane there. I didn't want to be seen around her. Sad part is she lives in the same area and commutes on the same airlines as I do.

Reverserbucket
20th Feb 2017, 13:55
FZRA
Please don't tar us all with the same brush
I'm not. For every low uniform standard wearer there are many who wear it well and, importantly, in accordance with company protocol. I respect your wish to wear your uniform properly and agree that it's not only the FO's.
Your comment concerning 'mystery and awe' reminds me of once being told that your customers often understand little about how or why an aircraft stays airborne but they trust you to know everything about it; if the crew are unable to follow instructions regarding how they should dress in order that they can fly the aircraft, how much confidence will be instilled in their ability to operate it? Personally, I don't feel there is much distinction these days between bus drivers, train drivers, airline pilots or any other uniform wearing public transport operators as far as public perception is concerned.

parabellum
20th Feb 2017, 22:37
Is this stuff just not taught anymore or is there a sense of entitlement these days that paying for training, a type-rating or worse affords these individuals?

No, sadly I think it is symptomatic of the individuals attitude to uniform and what it means as well as their attitude to the rules governing the wearing of it, as published in the ops manual, it demonstrates an underlying disregard of and resentment to authority.

cyflyer
23rd Oct 2017, 23:07
Reading CNN today, and here is another one they are featuring:

Female pilot, 24, takes off on Instagram | CNN Travel (http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/female-pilot-instagram/index.html)

Maybe that's why some people do not take women pilots as seriously, maybe their minds are not always fully on the job they should be concentrating on.

Dan Winterland
24th Oct 2017, 04:44
My company bans the use of any media devices on the flight deck except for operational reasons. This is probably a response to a video that did the rounds of social media of one of our pilot receiving a 'special service' on the flight deck from a flight attendant.

cyflyer
24th Oct 2017, 07:09
This is probably a response to a video that did the rounds of social media of one of our pilot receiving a 'special service' on the flight deck from a flight attendant.
Don't you mean an ex-pilot receiving special service from an ex-flight attendant ?