PDA

View Full Version : ROUTE DEVIATION IN KABUL FIR

Aekkung
17th Feb 2017, 14:18
For IFR & RVSM flight in Kabul FIR, anyone ever deviate more than 10NM from the route centerline? I asked the Kabul controller once and he said if I go beyond 10NM then I will be in uncontrolled airspace (Class G airspace I guess). Anything I need to know to be IFR flight in uncontrolled airspace?

Thanks for the answer in advance!

satdja
18th Feb 2017, 22:00
The Afghanistan AIP should provide what you need at:

http://acaa.gov.af/en/page/civil-aviation-authority/atm/aip---important-information

Aekkung
19th Feb 2017, 13:28
Yes, I did read the AIP before. Also sent the email to Afghanistan CAA, but no reply. That's why I come to ask if anyone ever have experience here.

The only thing I found almost related to my question in the AIP is here below.

Deviation from Airways

3.1 ACFT deviating from the low and high airways without ATC clearance will enter Class G airspace and may infringe military restricted areas and/or ACMs. ACFT who deviate from airways without clearance may be subjected to fighter interception, ICAO sanctions, and denial of future over-flights.

However, it didn't answer my question correctly. I mean what kind of clearance we will get from the Kabul controller if we are permitted to deviate more than 10NM from the route to be in the uncontrolled airspace. I want more practical information but anyway thanks so much for your reply!

Aekkung
19th Feb 2017, 22:38
In fact, I ever asked the Kabul controller myself for 2-3 times but the answer wasn't clear. He sad I can deviate up to 10NM from the route, further than that I will then enter the uncontrolled airspace. Just keep him informed. That's all.

Does this mean I can go beyond 10NM if I really needed to by informing him before? Any provision I need to know in doing so?

eckhard
20th Feb 2017, 14:05
Well, if you deviate more than 10nm and enter class G unconcontrolled airspace, the clue is in the name: uncontrolled.

While you are in class G, you will not be required to obtain a clearance from ATC, nor follow any clearance. ATC do not control class G and so cannot issue clearances. As the controller mentioned to you, it would be helpful if you keep him informed so he can advise you of any military operations in the area of which he is aware. Also, his radar will still see other traffic in the area (excluding any military stealthy ops) so he may be able to inform you about any relevant proximate aircraft; but bear in mind that he is under no obligation to do so as you are outside his area of control. You are really on your own and will be relying on 'see and be seen' to avoid confliction.

Having flown many times over the area myself, I am at a loss to understand why you would want to deviate more than 10nm in the first place? Weather is not usually an issue, is it?

Aekkung
20th Feb 2017, 15:18
Thank you so much for your reply. This is just what I want to hear from here. This helps clear thing up now.

The reason I raise this question is that one of my junior pilot told me that he ever flew into the thunderstorm in Kabul FIR. Just because his senior pilot didn't deviate more than 10NM claiming that he feared of the missile. So I just want to be sure what I should know and be aware of, if I really need to be in the uncontrolled airspace myself.

eckhard
20th Feb 2017, 19:05
Glad to be of help.

If you ever have to do it:
Put on all lights, especially at night;
Broadcast intentions on 121.5, 123.45;
Consider whether TIBA is in effect;
If so, make a TIBA report on the appropriate freq;
Ensure transponder and TCAS is on;
Ensure wx radar is on (helps the military to ident you as civil traffic); and
Keep a good look out!

Aekkung