PDA

View Full Version : EASA permit woes

Colibri49
16th Feb 2017, 23:06
A friend of mine, definitely not me because my aircraft's on an LAA permit, bought an aircraft about 5 years ago on an EASA permit. Perhaps he didn't realise or couldn't foresee just how costly his decision would be. He doesn't fly more than a handful of hours each year because his work keeps him very busy, so we his friends estimate that each hour must be costing hundreds.

We all fly from a very northern airfield and there is only one engineer in over 100 miles willing to look after an EASA permit aircraft and as I understand things, the engineer must pay a hefty annual fee to the CAA for each EASA permit type which he services. Naturally my friend has to pay for this, apart from all the hourly costs for that engineer's expertise.

The costs of keeping an EASA permit aircraft in the air seem to be little different from those of a certified aircraft, particularly and understandably as my friend isn't allowed by the engineer to do almost anything himself. As an example his aircraft's now due for a 5 yearly fuel, oil and water hose change, which is something I'm presently doing myself on my LAA type with the agreement of my LAA inspector, who'll check over my work and sign if he's satisfied.

The EASA licensed engineer has estimated several weeks for the hose changeover, which may be fair enough if he can only work on weekends for example, but I will complete all of my hoses in about a week and perhaps as many as 30 man hours. The final bill for my friend is likely to be comfortably into four figures.

Apparently there are also items other than hoses which have a calendar life and which are changed regardless of the clear evidence on inspection of being in perfect condition, mainly because they've hardly been used. This is pure "certified world" practice.

Apart from selling his aircraft at less than half the over £100k which he paid for it, is there any other escape from this EASA permit nightmare? Is there any likelihood of the LAA adopting such aircraft onto their orphans list?

ch.ess
17th Feb 2017, 08:16
There are options if it is an ELA1 model (<1200kg) or an Annex II listed one.
In these cases there are many things you could do yourself based on an own maintenance plan.
Depending on registration, "on condition" is possible in particular for the parts you mentioned...

Colibri49
17th Feb 2017, 09:23
The aircraft has a MTOM of 600 kg and is Annex II listed. My friend is aware of the list of items which he's allowed to perform himself, although I wasn't aware that he could do the 5 yearly hose changes himself.

We have heard tales of engineers in more populated areas elsewhere who take a pragmatic view of the EASA permit and don't discourage owners from doing much of the maintenance themselves, treating it in a similar way to the LAA permit under their supervision.

I guess that it comes down to whether any engineer is willing to take upon himself the responsibility of signing for work done by the owner, some of which the engineer wouldn't be able to inspect closely after completion.

Capt Kremmen
17th Feb 2017, 09:47
His cheapest option in the long term will be to sell it and buy LAA Permit.

S-Works
17th Feb 2017, 09:57
Change his engineers. I do most of the work on my CofA aircraft myself with the oversight of my engineering company. There are good and bad engineering companies out there....