PDA

View Full Version : Abbeyshrule

nosefirsteverytime
8th Jul 2002, 18:42
Well, I might (if all goes well at the auction, and we get the house) soon be moving close to Abbeyshrule airfeild(from what I hear, its very much an enthusiast's airfeild, no charges, very nice place to visit). But, is there flight training there? Now, I don't mind having to fork E650 to join up at Galway, but with this place closer, I think it'd be the better bet.

mutt
8th Jul 2002, 19:02
Dropped in there a couple of weeks ago on a wet afternoon, there are a number flying schools there, but unfortunately they were all closed during my visit. Its a beautiful part of the country but what ever you do, dont buy a wide car!

Good Luck.

Mutt

Negative 'G'
8th Jul 2002, 19:57
Knowing literally almost every airfield in Eire, I can honestly say that Abbyshrule is one of the nicest with a good PFA type content and enthusiasm. A guy called Davd Bruton is the main man there and if your fortunate to watch him fly his Jungmann or Tiggie your in for a real treat..............A born natural !

All in all its a crackin strip with a parrallel canal what can be used for Floatplanes (Bloody tight though) although I did see a C.182 on floats there once.
The other highlight of the place is the local pub called the "Rustic Inn" just turn right out of the gate and its a 5-10 min walk up the narrow lane.................Well worth it though, especially if your able to sample the black stuff once there :D

Good luck, You'll love it.

Neg G

Radar
8th Jul 2002, 23:46
Nosefirst.......,

Haven't flown there in a couple of years. Re-validated my (lapsed) PPL there in 2000. Aeroclub 2000 was the outfit, if memory serves me right. At that stage they were using a C150 -CTI and a Rallye. Another club, (CFI George Farrar) were offering training also. That's two years ago mind you, and things may have changed. In any case, I can't think of a better place to drop in and collect the gen :) ..... don't miss Ted's hospitality at the Rustic. Enjoy yourself and, if you do move I'll catch you for a pint in the Rustic the next time I'm home.

Slan

Mister Gash
9th Jul 2002, 16:54
Lots of training still going on there; you won't be stuck.

Agree with above comments. Very friendly and enthusiastic environment with none of the bulls**t that sometimes permeates the air at such fields.

Dropped in a few weeks back and we were kept busy for the afternoon swapping aicraft rides with other enthusiastic pilots.

Negative 'G'
9th Jul 2002, 19:08
Hmmmmmmm Whats the forcast for the weekend............Maybe just maybe................:D :cool: :cool: :D

Neg G:)