PDA

View Full Version : Takeoff RVR/VIS question [EASA]

LMX
6th Feb 2017, 09:40
Tower reports VIS 400 m, RVR RWY 10 250 m, RVR RWY 28 not available. Our takeoff minima is 400 m RVR/VIS at this particular airport.

Can I take off in these conditions? Obviously RWY 10 is below minima, but could I use RWY 28?

Our OPS department said yes, use the met VIS since RVR is not available. But I would argue that the RWY 10 RVR is also the RVR for RWY 28 stop end, and if the minima is 400 m don't you need this at the stop end too?

sonicbum
6th Feb 2017, 12:49
The regulations are quite clear : use RVR or Met visibility. The reported RVR/VIS value representative of the take-off run run can be replaced by pilot assessment.

LMX
6th Feb 2017, 22:08
Well, for LVTO we need the required RVR for all parts of the runway. Are you saying it's acceptable to have RVR 250 m for the stop end when the required VIS/RVR is 400 m?

It's usually CAVOK when I'm flying so it's my first time encountering a situation like this. :O To me it's not crystal clear so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

CaptainMongo
6th Feb 2017, 22:37
PMFJI...

In my FAA world takeoff below 1600' (1/4 SM) requires runway RVR to be available. Below 1600' "2 Operating RVRs are required, All operating RVRs are controlling" (Except a fourth far end RVR - it is adviosry only and may not be substituted for an inoperative RVR)

In your scenario, is RWY 28 RVR not available (i.e. temporarily unavailable) or are there no RVR devices on runway 28? If no RVR's are installed on RWY 28 then your standard take off minimums apply. Those minimum apparently are 400m (our standard take off minimums are 1600')

If no RVR devices are installed on Rwy28, I would say your Ops department is correct.

737aviator
7th Feb 2017, 11:48
Also remember that the stop end is no longer 'relevant' if your takeoff performance allows for you to disregard the stop end of the runway.

LMX
7th Feb 2017, 11:54
737aviator,

I heard about that but I couldn't find it clearly stated in our OPS manual. How do you decide that you can disregard the stop end? Accelerate-stop distance less than two thirds of the runway (meaning TORA or ASDA)?