PDA

View Full Version : PPL Recency

rupetime
8th Jul 2002, 16:14
Im putting together some figures for learning to fly based on
a school in the south of England region and also costing in
what it will cost to keep the licence up to date over the coming
4- 5 years if i assume i just fly as a ppl with no further training.

Could anyone let me know what the minimum hours / landings would be to keep the licence in date and if there are any variations if i want to carry passengers.

Thanks
RT

:cool:

bookworm
8th Jul 2002, 16:59
See GID33 (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=188) for details.

In summary, to keep the licence valid by experience, you need a minimum of 12 hours and one flight with an instructor in the last 12 months of the 24 month validity period. Alternatively, you can do a skills check with an examiner instead.

To carry passengers, you need 3 take-offs and landings in the last 90 days.

These are legal minimum requirements. Most pilots will need to do more flying than the bare minimum to maintain their flying at an acceptable standard -- I'd suggest that if you can't do 20 hours a year you should consider carefully whether it's worth it.

Evo7
8th Jul 2002, 17:01
At the risk of being corrected....

Your JAR SEP (single-engine piston) rating is valid for two years. Ignoring passengers, and assuming that you don't want to revalidate via a Proficieny Check with an Examiner, you need 12 hours logged in the final 12 months. There are some requirements as to what these hours must include - rather than try and remember them, I'll point you to the CAA website (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp) or Irv Lee's FAQ (http://www.higherplane.flyer.co.uk/faq.htm):)

If you would like to carry passengers, then there's also the "90 day" rule - no passengers unless you have made 3 take offs and 3 landings in the last 90 days in the same class/type. If you're doing it at night (i.e. you have a night rating) then one of those three must have been at night.

Finally, your club may have additional requirements - e.g. a "60 day" currency rule.

Hope I haven't left anything out :)

englishal
8th Jul 2002, 17:38
then there's also the "90 day" rule - no passengers unless you have made 3 take offs and 3 landings in the last 90 days

As a side note, these 3 T/O and L/D (hopefully the same number;) ) can be done very easily if you decide to go for a flight. Just go up and do 3 circuits and you're 'legal' again....thats not to say safe of course. The club I'm with have a 28 day rule, if you haven't flown for 28 days then they want you to do 3 circuits with the instructor. This is fine as the instructor is for free, you just pay that little bit more aircraft hire time...

Costwise...in the S of England, you're looking at £100 / hr for a PA28, so £1200 in the last year (minimum cost), plus 1 hour with a JAR instructor, so £1235. Around £1000 in a C152. If you want to revalidate by the 'flight test route' or whatever its called, you'll probably end up paying for 2 hrs aircraft and 2 hrs examiner....but of course you may not do it in 2 hours if you haven't flown for 23 months.

If you're willing to go abroard you can fly a lot cheaper, but its probably not worth it unless you want to do a few more than the 12 hrs...

Cheers
EA:)

Evo7
8th Jul 2002, 18:10
As a side note, these 3 T/O and L/D (hopefully the same number )

:)

Surprisingly, a new JAR-style logbook that I was looking at the other day had separate columns for T/Os and landings, so the gurus in charge don't think much of us... :)

StrateandLevel
8th Jul 2002, 20:57
"Could anyone let me know what the minimum hours / landings would be to keep the licence in date and if there are any variations if i want to carry passengers."

Well the minimum hours is one hour every two years conducted as a test with an examiner. That will give you 3 take offs and landings so you will be current to carry passengers for 90 days. Thereafter you just have to maintain your 90 day currency if you wish to carry passengers.