PDA

View Full Version : Time to Annoy!

ColonelAngus
27th Jan 2017, 14:24
From the recent Line Ops Newsletter:

"We should be pestering ATC for direct routing, further climb or suggesting proactive strategies to permit higher levels."

Pestering? Really?

Pester: Trouble or annoy (someone) with frequent or persistent requests or interruptions

Or, how about, "Request that you turn the aircraft in front of us 30 degrees off track so that we can climb."

:ugh:

betpump5
27th Jan 2017, 15:09
More unproffesionalism from the third floor. Where egomaniacs with make-beleive empires pen their thoughts and memoirs in newsletters with silly names.

It is very clear what legal documentation is to be used. And speaking of which, OPS-A is very clear on what constitutes "nuisance" radio calls.

Trafalgar
27th Jan 2017, 15:28
The last thrashing throes of a dying empire. Pathetic and sad. Besides, as i'm being paid by the hour, every minute on the block time counts. If there is overtime in it for any crew member, then I will find a way to 'legally' maximise the block time....for safety's sake of course. :ok:

Arfur Dent
27th Jan 2017, 16:52
Perhaps someone should pester the hedging committee for some explanations. 10 years worth of "direct routings and climbs" wouldn't get anywhere near what they just blew away!

Shep69
27th Jan 2017, 17:19
Mmmmmm....gets the big fat "Meh."

Or 'Noted'

Most of us operate prudently and efficiently and it's called being a pilot. Problem becomes when some bright inexperienced enterprising up and coming star tries to 'pester' in an environment where it's not welcome (like perhaps New York, Chicago, San Fran, Los Angeles or any other busy place). Controllers do a magnificent job there and pretty well know that pilots don't like droning and wasting gas. But there are a whole bunch of other airplanes and you are one of very many (with a limited picture on what is going on).

And then we become 'that' airline--which can be counterproductive in the long run.

Some have already discovered the perils of not knowing about the sandbox you are playing in while at the same time thinking the world revolves around you.

So the bottom line as always is keep your SA up, know where you are playing, realize the world doesn't always revolve around YOU, operate prudently as you always do, and do the right things.

Probably didn't need an article to tell us that.......

cxorcist
27th Jan 2017, 17:36
... almost as dumb as yelling "Attitude/Stall, Disengage,..." while recovering from an upset attitude or stall. How about we just act like pilots who recover with the blue side up and enough airspeed to fly the airplane? This place is retarded. As ever, CX is more interested in what you say than what you do. It's the Cathay version of political correctness. I have no patience for it. We need a cultural revolution at CX. Is Donald Trump too busy to take over as CEO?

Average Fool
27th Jan 2017, 17:53
Can't we just take full tanks and fly at MMo to get rid of this expensive fuel?

Then we can pretend like it never happened.

Oval3Holer
27th Jan 2017, 22:12
"Attitude/Stall, Disengage..."

You REMEMBER that? I dumped that as soon as my foot left the simulator! Now that you mention it, I DO remember someone saying something about it...

LongTimeInCX
27th Jan 2017, 22:33
For our new generation of ear stud wearing, spikey haired brushwingers, who will never have had the fun of a previous life being upside down, intentionally spending their time on the edge of the flight envelope, or even more than 30' AOB, then to have some sort of basic training to recover from an attitude upset may well be a good idea. Especially if you were making a deposit down the back when Sum Ting Wong happens up the front.

Granted that both the sim instructor and I thought this was a load of bollocks, as we are from a generation where it is still instinctive to unload a misbehaving wing, roll, and.....well we just fly the aircraft, because back then, we were taught how to do it, and practiced regularly.

These young fellas coming through now, can quote chapter and verse from ops manuals, but sadly never receive the good handling practice we now take for granted that remains second nature.
From our sim instructor, it does appear all this is being driven by outfits like the FAA, who say if you want to keep flying into Trumpland after 20(18?), then you have to have an auditable recovery program in place.

So if you know what to do, then just do that pilot thing and fly the aircraft and recover.
If you're from that new generation that can't fly without help, then recite the mantra as taught, move the controls to follow the words, good luck and try not to do an AirAsia or AirFrance.

cxorcist
27th Jan 2017, 23:59
I've got a novel idea... How about we train them up to our standard rather than drop ourselves down to theirs? When I was a new, young pilot, I came up with all kinds of acronyms and short chants to make sure I did things correctly. Why can't they come up with their own drills? Oh, I almost forgot. This is the snowflake era of spoon feeding, hot chocolate and safe spaces for all those whose feelings get hurt by politically incorrect words.

raven11
28th Jan 2017, 00:43
What more needs be said about a recovery model that focuses on a word like "Stabilized" and completely omits the more important consideration in a word like "Speedbrakes"....?

In a nose-high or stall scenario, the expert will ensure that the speedbrakes are in; while in a nose low scenario, they must be deployed....what does parroting the word "stabilized" accomplish?

And, no, the nose dropping during a stall is not a nose-low unusual attitude FFS.

Talk to those (many among us) that have spent a great deal of time upside down, and avoid the less refined, illogical, weekend-wonder, recovery model.

Tea time
28th Jan 2017, 01:14
Well I suppose we could change our call sign to airforce 1 , that should get rid of any delays and level restrictions. May raise a few sceptical eyebrows though .
Or alternatively politely tell the aircraft in front of us that we are using expensive fuel so could he please play nicely and descend so we can have his level .
After reading all the data about radiation I think that I will just stay alive and stick to lower levels .
A few years ago we had one of the US ATC managers on board , travelling in EY , did we grant them an involuntary upgrade . Hell NO they took the flight in EY .
How much goodwill would have been generated with a simple upgrade .

Try pestering Chicago ATC for better slots , or runways. you will very quickly find yourself in the sin bin . We have a pretty good reputation with USA ATC why try and ruin it?

There is no one to blame for this situation except the fuel hedgers and management . Let them deal with it , it's their mess

Oasis
28th Jan 2017, 04:08
The Captain on that flight should've upgraded that passenger.
I would call that commercially important.
Just enter in car and voilá!

The Visionary
28th Jan 2017, 07:09
You know what annoys me? The fact that a long time whiner and winger, that was openly for contract compliance and against guys/gals taking check and training positions, just became a Captain. I read it and thought, how and why did this happen. This place is sick like that. Guys will walk over the bodies of others to get ahead. I've never seen a place like this. They then complain about it. I hear guys, like that French ****, complain now about his roster and the training department. I hear a lot of new Captains complain about their rosters but MB is going to be a doozie. He has been hostile towards members and now he gets promoted. I honestly think the company loves people like him because he will keep us fighting amongst ourselves and will bollock and harass the new joiners or those taking promotions. The other guy is about to be fired btw.

MENELAUS
28th Jan 2017, 09:46
Yes that must be a different MB from the one exhorting us not to accept any form of upgrade, including command ones. Isn't moral high ground a wonderful thing ? Re the other individual. Again high handed posts on aoa forums advising us on how to behave; then performs the ultimate volte-face ( pun intended). The industry is full of poachers turned gamekeeper ( it used to be a senior management requirement here to have had at least some position of import in the union; that and a guiding hand from the Lodge, nudge nudge, wink, wink, on the square).
Re. the individual about to get fired. Do tell us more ?

peanuts
28th Jan 2017, 10:24
Reminds me of an exchange between a CX and another:

CX: xxxx when can you climb?
Other: We're at max weight and can't climb for hours.
CX: So you can't vacate your level?
Other: No.
CX: Well, thanks a lot, xxxx, thanks a lot!

At the time I thought 'Some mothers do have them'.

BusyB
28th Jan 2017, 11:08
Funniest I heard was,
LAX Star, Line Ops Manager asking FO to request high speed. FO says doesn't happen don't ask. LOM insists. ATC goes silent then says "CX turn onto 270hdg, go as fast as you like, let me know when you want to make an approach"

cxorcist
28th Jan 2017, 18:16
Funniest I heard was,
LAX Star, Line Ops Manager asking FO to request high speed. FO says doesn't happen don't ask. LOM insists. ATC goes silent then says "CX turn onto 270hdg, go as fast as you like, let me know when you want to make an approach"

Busy B, thanks for a good laugh. That sounds about right. CX wants the world to conform to it. Maybe that is part of the reason we can't make money in one of the world's most profitable airline markets. Sad!

broadband circuit
29th Jan 2017, 03:24
People who annoy you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZR44sfS_44

mr did
29th Jan 2017, 10:44
Or coming into Hong Kong when we had expat ATC:

"CXXX, we would like high speed"
"CXXX, you can have high speed but I will have to route you around"

Tangential
30th Jan 2017, 01:38
Once heard over India (said with a 'very' broad Indian accent): "Cathay Pacific: always wanting, never getting..."

ACMS
30th Jan 2017, 06:56
Please think of something original, I first heard that one 20+ years ago......