PDA

View Full Version : Obsolete PPL(H)

scanavos
24th Jan 2017, 23:32
I have UK CAA PPL(H) expired from 1990. What do I have to do to renew it? Do I have any theoretical knowledge credit? Am 60, too old to sit for exams again. Do I have to take the whole training from 0 hrs?

muffin
25th Jan 2017, 08:12
I think that you have to present yourself at a FTO and ask them what training is required. If you do go ahead, consider an LAPL instead of a PPL as it is less hours and a simpler medical. It does limit you to day VFR in Europe but I imagine that would not be a downside. Where are you located?

Flyingmac
25th Jan 2017, 08:22
Your licence does not expire. It simply needs re-validation. Refresher training as required and a flight test. No exams.

BillieBob
25th Jan 2017, 09:26
No action is needed in respect of the licence which, as has already been stated, does not expire. To exercise the privileges of the licence, however, you need a valid type rating and so it is this that will need to be renewed (not revalidated).

To renew a type rating, you will need to undertake refresher training at an ATO (not FTO) or, until 8 Apr 2018, a registered facility in order to reach the standard required to pass the proficiency check. The amount of training will be decided by the ATO or RF who will not recommend you for the proficiency check until you have reached the required standard - without the training organisation's recommendation an examiner may not conduct the check.

Bear in mind that, once renewed, the UK PPL(H) will be valid on EASA helicopters only with LAPL(H) privileges and then only until 8 April 2018. Thereafter, the licence will be valid only on 'Annex II' helicopters (e.g. Rotorway & ex-military). To convert your UK PPL(H) to the EASA equivalent is quite straightforward - all that is required is to demonstrate, to a CFI or examiner, proper use of radio navigation aids. The training for this can be included in the refresher training for the type rating revalidation and competency demonstrated during the proficiency check. All that is then required is to make application to the CAA for the issue of an EASA PPL(H) (using Form SRG1104 or the equivalent on-line application) and to hand over the usual bucket of money. Have a look here (http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Convert/Converting-to-an-EASA-licence-from-a-UK-national-or-JAR-licence/)