PDA

View Full Version : A320: Can We Take Off without arming Ground Spoilers?

aviatoraj320
24th Jan 2017, 15:56
Can we Take Off without Arming the Ground Spoilers? (PS: if we ignore the TO No Blue Memo)

Lookleft
24th Jan 2017, 21:16
(PS: if we ignore the TO No Blue Memo)

Why would you ignore anything presented to you that was for your safety and the safety of your passengers? If you plan to ignore the TO memo then you shouldn't be in the flightdeck!

KayPam
24th Jan 2017, 21:22
I also believe that if you put on full power with no flaps, the engines are not going to refuse to spool up.

aviatoraj320
24th Jan 2017, 22:21
Why would you ignore anything presented to you that was for your safety and the safety of your passengers? If you plan to ignore the TO memo then you shouldn't be in the flightdeck!
What if it left ignored?

763 jock
24th Jan 2017, 22:35
Would you turn off the ABS in your car before a journey? What about the traction control? Maybe do away with the power steering?

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question...........

Lookleft
25th Jan 2017, 02:08
aviatoraj320- If you are asking the question because you enjoy playing on Flight Sim then forgive my harsh reply and ignore the rest of the reply.

If however you fly Airbus for a living then you need to have a long hard think about your statement What if it left ignored?

As an airline pilot you never ignore a message that is a reminder that you have not done your After Start scans properly and that you are not using the checklist properly! If you fly with Captains that take-off with this message displayed then report them and/or be more assertive in not allowing them to do so in the first place. There is a phrase in HF material called "Practical Drift". Basically once you start drifting from SOPs in one area then you will drift in others, potentially to the point that the last recording on the CVR will be, "There's that annoying voice telling us to pu.."(end of recording).

aviatoraj320
25th Jan 2017, 06:40
aviatoraj320- If you are asking the question because you enjoy playing on Flight Sim then forgive my harsh reply and ignore the rest of the reply.

If however you fly Airbus for a living then you need to have a long hard think about your statement

As an airline pilot you never ignore a message that is a reminder that you have not done your After Start scans properly and that you are not using the checklist properly! If you fly with Captains that take-off with this message displayed then report them and/or be more assertive in not allowing them to do so in the first place. There is a phrase in HF material called "Practical Drift". Basically once you start drifting from SOPs in one area then you will drift in others, potentially to the point that the last recording on the CVR will be, "There's that annoying voice telling us to pu.."(end of recording).
I am very new to Airbus. I recently completed my TR. I do not have any experience on A320 yet.

The question just raised into my mind and that's the reason I asked. I respect the SOPs for sure. And there is nothing harsh in your reply. I believe it is all learning for me.

So this question was just out of my curiosity.

dixi188
25th Jan 2017, 06:54
I imagine the ground spoiler logic is the same as earlier Airbuses in that if you don't arm them for take off, in the event of an abort, selecting reverse thrust will deploy them anyway.

megan
25th Jan 2017, 09:22
selecting reverse thrust will deploy them anywayAssuming they are armed, at what point would they deploy on an RTO? Reverse thrust is not used to determine stopping distance if certified by FAA.

One common misconception among pilots is that the quick use of thrust reversers will offset any delay or even the complete lack of speedbrake deployment during an RTO. This is simply not true. On a dry runway, delaying the deployment of the speedbrakes by only 5 seconds during the RTO will add over 300 ft. to the stop distance of a typical mid-sized two-engine jet transport, including the effects of engine-out reverse thrust. As a worst case illustration, if reverse thrust was not used and the speedbrakes were not deployed at all, stopping distance would be increased by more than 700 ft. Although the exact figures of this example will vary with different flap settings and from one airplane model to another, the general effect will be the same, namely that speedbrakes have a very pronounced effect on stopping performance.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/training/media/takeoff_safety.pdf

Can we Take Off without Arming the Ground Spoilers?Sure you can, but you won't get anyone to fly with you.

aviatoraj320
25th Jan 2017, 12:33
Thanks Megan,

There is some additional query on it.

selecting reverse thrust will deploy them anyway

If Max braking has been selected on Auto Brakes. Takeoff being aborted, engines in reverse, you have forgotten to arm the ground spoilers. Will auto brake activate?