View Full Version : FI Rating course provider recommendations - Midlands/N.London

buzzc152
22nd Jan 2017, 17:37
Hi all

I'm after recommendations for school to do the FI rating in my area. My local airfield is Cranfield, but it is dying a slow self induced death these days.
I've heard Aeros at Wellesbourne is good. Any others within an hour or so drive from Cranfield ?

Thanks

eckhard
22nd Jan 2017, 18:17
I can recommend On-Track at Wellesbourne.

Airgus
22nd Jan 2017, 19:34
Hi Buzz, in general the level in the UK for the FIC is very good.
On-Track, Aeros and Pooleys and well known for high standards.

My advice is not to focus on "where" too much and instead focus more on the "after-the-course" part.
My advice is to do the course in the place that you can get a job offer as a FI R.
Is a win-win situation for both parts, you will get a job at the end of the training and the school/institution too will get the chance to train you and shape you under their SOPs.

RTN11
23rd Jan 2017, 17:57
Maybe a bit further, but Central Flight Training at Tattenhill are worth a look.

Duchess_Driver
24th Jan 2017, 08:23
Second CFT at Tatenhill, and raise you...

Caroline at Booker Aviation, Wycombe
Eva at The Pilot Centre, Denham
Carol Cooper at Andrewsfield

Trouble is, there are too many good ones around.

octavian
29th Jan 2017, 08:00
On Track at Wellesbourne are excellent.

Homsap
29th Jan 2017, 20:22
I have reservations about Ontrack at Wellesbourne as they seem to think they are better than elsewhere based on that most of the instructors with ex military connections, are higher beings, which we all know isn't true.

rarelyathome
30th Jan 2017, 19:43
H'sap

what have you got against the military guys? By definition all military pilots are pilots but not all pilots could be military pilots. In fact, the application to front line rate proves that they are probably pretty good :E

UAV689
31st Jan 2017, 21:15
Canfield still going strong. The atc dramas have been resolved, and a good and very flexible if course

Hebridean Jocky
31st Jan 2017, 22:42
Dorothy Pooley for sure! Cheap accommodation near the field makes it worthwhile.
Excellent standard and very patient. Can't over recommend. Best of luck!

Stretchwell
31st Jan 2017, 22:54
On Track. Excellent place to learn.

RTN11
1st Feb 2017, 12:48
what have you got against the military guys? By definition all military pilots are pilots but not all pilots could be military pilots. In fact, the application to front line rate proves that they are probably pretty good

Very true, but being ex military doesn't mean you're automatically a good instructor, so it is an odd boast.

The best schools have people from a wide variety of backgrounds, nothing wrong with ex military, but decent career instructors and even people with aspirations of moving to the airlines also have their place.

I was let down by on track for the examiners rating, had the course booked and they pulled the rug from under me with very little notice, but that's only my personal experience, I never actually ended up doing any flying there.

Homsap
5th Feb 2017, 19:07
" The best schools have people from a wide variety of backgrounds, nothing wrong with ex military, but decent career instructors and even people with aspirations of moving to the airlines also have their place."

RTN11 well said

But to add, I have known brilliant military instructors, but also ex military pilot's who were not suited to civil aviation instruction or commercial operations, such as an ex military pilot turned civilian FI and airline pilot who crashed a PA38 on take off and the ex military pilot who was trying to promote on instructor seminars EFATO turn backs to inexperienced instructors, this was followed several turn back accidents by inexperienced FIs. His hypothesis was the height loss was based on a 180 turn, maybe on a military field, but not on many civilian airfields and no consideration of wind and aircraft performance and optimal glide.

I would add that the three most exceptional instructors/examiners I have ever flown with in the civilian world had in excess of 30,000 hours each and none in the military.

In respect to On Track, I would suggest to prospective FI's, ask if your training is one to one, as my impression is they have quite a few instructors who are part timers and have 'day jobs'. Again if a FI instructor/examiner, claims to be ex military, don't fall the assumption that the were a pilot in the military, they may have been a navigator or rock ape! Of course I'm not thinking of anyone in particular!!!!

RTN11
5th Feb 2017, 20:53
I would suggest to prospective FI's, ask if your training is one to one, as my impression is they have quite a few instructors who are part timers and have 'day jobs'.

This is exactly what happened to me, and my examiner rating was cancelled with very short notice due to the instructor being called in for his day job.

Again if a FI instructor/examiner, claims to be ex military, don't fall the assumption that the were a pilot in the military, they may have been a navigator or rock ape! Of course I'm not thinking of anyone in particular!!!!

I've fallen for this one far too many times with people who sat in the back of a Nimrod.

S-Works
6th Feb 2017, 16:49
I have reservations about Ontrack at Wellesbourne as they seem to think they are better than elsewhere based on that most of the instructors with ex military connections, are higher beings, which we all know isn't true.

Absolute crock of ****. The standard of training you will receive at Ontrack is exceptional. I am saying that as a competitor! I also happened to have done all my Instructor and Examiner courses with them over the years as well and can only praise the standard they achieve.

Homsap
6th Feb 2017, 21:21
Bose...

But oddly, RTN11 supports my thesis. I rest my case.

S-Works
7th Feb 2017, 08:00
Oh well, that settles it then.....

ksjc
8th Feb 2017, 15:37
.....deleted post....