PDA

View Full Version : CAT III B NDH

Topper80
19th Jan 2017, 15:32
Hi,
in which EASA nations are CAT III B No DH allowed? I remember in France it was not allowed, is it changed ? What about other counties?

Thanks

safelife
19th Jan 2017, 15:36
All countries, except France.
They build the Airbus, but apparently they don't trust their own products 😉

alf5071h
19th Jan 2017, 16:21
safelife, "Trust, but verify."

Goldenrivett
19th Jan 2017, 16:45
All countries, except France.

The only French airport I can think of which doesn't have CAT IIIB No DH is LYS (CAT IIIB with DH = 25ft). Everywhere else allows No DH.

Kerosine
19th Jan 2017, 17:28
I seem to remember Lyon is indeed one of the few with a DH of 25 ft. It is a pain though: "100 above.... 50, 40, 30, MINIMUMS! CONTINUE! Flare! 20! RETARD, RETARD!".

What a racket. Hard work when only 2 sectors into a 5 sector day :eek:

mcdhu
19th Jan 2017, 18:32
My understanding is that the "mini decision height" is not an EASA thing.
The French are slowly getting rid of them eg TLS 14R ( from memory).
Could it be a throwback to the Aeropostale days of Cat 3 manual?

Goldenrivett
19th Jan 2017, 19:22
When we used to do Cat III B no DH approaches on L1011 in the early 80s, we only had approval at UK airports. Everywhere else we had a mini DH of around 25ft. When we practiced flying a GA from DH 25ft in the sim, we would touch the runway momentarily before climbing away.

So if you do one for real in an Airbus and don't manage to get F3 before touch down - then don't be surprised when you get the Config Warning.

underfire
19th Jan 2017, 20:02
A DH of 25 feet when you have momentary descent of 50 feet!

Cagedh
19th Jan 2017, 20:41
If...
a) the crew is trained and authorised to perform Cat IIIb approaches with NO DH
b) the a/c is cat IIIb NO DH capable
c) Everything is working as it's supposed to, no MEL items, no ground facilities

and if...
The country or the airport, for one or the other stupid reason will only allow Cat 25 ft DH.
The F/O is looking at the instruments only...
I'm pretty sure that I WILL see enough to call "continue" at 25ft RA...

There's a difference between minima that are there for terrain or technical reasons and minima that are there for bureaucratic reasons.

trancada
24th Jan 2017, 21:11
I have tried to help you guys with LVO study guide, but this website doesn’t allow me to insert a URL.
There is a portuguese pilot that wrote a nice document about, and explains very clear all possible situations .

the email is [email protected] ask the link to access the document.