PDA

View Full Version : speed restictions what do you understand?

professor yaffle
7th Jul 2002, 23:06
this is not a dig at anybody and would appreciate honest answers!!! and feeling brave on this post!!

scenario :
tx'd to approach radar
pilot: any speed contol?
radar:no atc speed restiction.

there is a thread in atc issues on this but am not sufficiently 'puter lit. to transfer it here!!

cheers

prof

Afloor
8th Jul 2002, 07:07
My guess would be to set my speed maximum for the airspace, nothing higher.

Afloor

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Jul 2002, 07:12
In Class A airspace you can fly what speed you like if we say "no ATC speed control". At Heathrow during off-peak periods we frequently have traffic flying at 340kts up to and beyond the holding areas.

slingsby
8th Jul 2002, 08:32
HEATHROWDIRECTOR
Interesting you mention speeds of up 340knts into holds and beyond. I assume you are refering to the resident rocket at EGLL, my company policy is to be at 250knts below fl100 irrespective of speed controls being lifted, our flightplans have the departure and arrival speed built into them. Nice to know that some behind me might rear end my APU, but then flying into EGLL is one of the most pleasant flying experiences I can recount. ATC is the most professional, courteous, and expeditious in handling the vast amount of traffic in their airspace. By far the best and efficient.
On departure though, as a bigbus driver, when ATC advise no speed restrictions, we remove the bugs from the FMC and our stupid aircraft slows down to optimum climb speed which invariably is around 190knts to 210knts. climb rate of a slug.

eyeinthesky
8th Jul 2002, 11:26
Funnily enough, I think there is a special note to tower controllers at LHR to cater for the fact that the A340 actually SLOWS DOWN as you describe. They have to beware of firing, say, a 757 off behind it because of catch up.

Just another point: If you are told 'no speed restriction' on departure you are released from the 250 kt limit, but you are NOT absolved from any level restrictions. If, by speeding up, your ANGLE of climb is reduced so you cannot meet 'level by' restrictions in the SID, then don't speed up!!