PDA

View Full Version : Circling approach on night time

quangkevin
5th Jan 2017, 19:03
Hi everyone,
I want to know whether circling approach could be conducted at night or not and where could i find the ICAO document for this?
Thank you very much for yours answers
N.Quang

piperboy84
5th Jan 2017, 19:51
I'd imagine guidance on circling availability and instructions on how to circle based on aircraft category etc. would be listed in the Instrument Approach Procedure published for the airfield and approach type selected.

Capt Scribble
5th Jan 2017, 20:06
I see a grey area here. EASA prohibits visual approaches at night unless the airfield has been authorised by the Company. I realise that a circling app is not a visual approach, but there is little difference on the final turn. Perhaps I have missed something.

poldek77
8th Jan 2017, 09:47
We can make night circling as well but only when PAPI/VASI for the landing runway is operative. Visual approaches SS-SR are prohibited.

chevvron
8th Jan 2017, 10:32
Why is this in the 'ATC Issues' section? It's an aircraft operator problem not an ATC problem.

topdrop
8th Jan 2017, 10:45
Two types of circling approaches - both available at night:
1. From an instrument approach that is not runway aligned (or from say a RWY 15 ILS, circle to land on 33) - when in the circling area and visual, carry out a circuit within the circling area to land on desired runway.
2. A visual approach - within 5NM, join the circuit to land on desired runway.

Different weather minima apply to both. Above is a precis for Australia - other countries may be different in what they allow.

FlyingStone
10th Jan 2017, 11:28
EASA prohibits visual approaches at night unless the airfield has been authorised by the Company.

I don't think that's the case. Do you have a reference for that?

oggers
11th Jan 2017, 13:34
I want to know whether circling approach could be conducted at night or not and where could i find the ICAO document for this?

If you are legal to fly IFR you are also legal to fly a circling approach at night. Look in ICAO annex 6. For single pilot, and single turbine transport operations there are extra requirements that apply to both IFR and night.