PDA

View Full Version : PAX on the flight deck

Homsap
23rd Dec 2016, 15:27
We all know that PAX on the flight deck is no longer allowed during the flight and the door has to be locked, but what about when on the stand or apron.

I had this thought as today as on the news there was a photo of three young ladies on the flight deck (PAX) (on the ground) following an otherwise empty aircraft flight from Gibralter to London.

Also, it happened with BA following the Olympic Games similar photos were taken.

I really wondering whether access to the flight deck by PAX should be banned at all times for obvious reasons, which I will not go into.

750XL
23rd Dec 2016, 15:45
Pax in the flight deck still happens regularly all across the world, especially when close family or friends are travelling on the same flight as the skipper. Against the rules, of course, but a blind eye is usually turned :ok:

I really wondering whether access to the flight deck by PAX should be banned at all times for obvious reasons, which I will not go into.

What's the problem with people visiting the flight deck before or after landing, time permitting? I fail to see any 'obvious reasons' :confused:

crablab
23rd Dec 2016, 16:12
They might work out how to fly the plane := :E

Denti
23rd Dec 2016, 19:52
On the ground it is not a problem at all and allowed by all authorities so far. Even in the air there are some procedures that would allow certain persons in special cases to be there, but special prior approval is usually required.

172_driver
23rd Dec 2016, 20:06
Over here we can have revenue pax on the jumpseat for the whole duration of the flight if accepted by the commander. Usually that involves someone already known to the crew or some enthusiast who can prove their 'enthusiasm', e.g. with an airside pass. I assume this policy is quite liberal compared to other operators but it keeps the office workers from over regulating every aspect of our job :ok:

crablab
23rd Dec 2016, 20:07
Could I just ask where that place is (broadly), out of interest? :)

Octane
24th Dec 2016, 02:58
I thought a passenger in a 172 would already be in a jump seat? :-)

172_driver
24th Dec 2016, 06:17
Jumpseat, business class, monkey class... it was an all in one seat, service depended on how well you paid the pilot :-)

Octane
25th Dec 2016, 05:47
172 driver,

Haha! :-)

Good response, got a giggle out of me, not that I've been drinking of course!

Octane
25th Dec 2016, 06:29
last time I was "up the front" was about 6 years ago in an A330?, bit vague about it for reasons that will become clear...
Flying a 6 hour overnight sector with a not to be named carrier in Business Class. I was the only person awake, had read a few newspapers, done the crosswords, gone through a bottle of champers, was well into the red ( all French) and minding my own business when about an hour out from our destination I was approached by the Flight Attendant. She said "The Captain would like to talk you", I've gone huh!? What's she on about?!
She motioned to me to leave my seat (1A) and follow her. I thought about it then agreed (been up front several times prior on various aircraft). Left my wine on the table and entered the flight deck. Warm greetings from the Captain and F/O, first words were "light up if you like". 2 minutes later the three of us are puffing away getting to know each other when the F/A returns with my glass topped up! Conversation was great, I speak their lingo to their delight which helps, when to my horror the F/A returned and topped up my glass! And she did so every 10 minutes, to check on the level of my glass.....
We got to TOD and Capt. said "Octane, you're most welcome to stay for the landing if you like". Problem was, Octane was pickled, well and truly!
To their surprise I made some lame excuse about having to do "something" and took my leave after thanking them for the privilege. Stumbled back to my seat and on we went. I slept soundly that day....
Laughing now as I write this..
As I said, this was 6 years ago, don't know if it would happen now?

Piltdown Man
26th Dec 2016, 21:31
Damned if I can see the "obvious reasons". The reality is, the UK has a positively anal attitude to any people on the flight deck, even pilots. I believe the US also follows suit. But vast chunks of the rest of the world have a more enlighted attitude. Yup, the wrong person is a obviously a danger, but I feel safer with my wife, kids, neighbours on the jumpseat than a new recruit who has been assigned to be there.

So to and from airfields in the UK FIR, no pax on the jumpseat.

Hotel Tango
31st Dec 2016, 23:02
I have enjoyed a number of visits to the flight deck since 911, all with reputable European airlines. Yes I had my ATC I/D, but I was flying as a passenger and there was no prior co-ordination. There are still airlines that leave the initiative of F/D visits at the discretion of the Captain. Having said that, I understand the stricter policies imposed by those countries whose airlines are more likely to be targeted.

tech log
2nd Jan 2017, 17:54
I really wondering whether access to the flight deck by PAX should be banned at all times for obvious reasons

Please do tell.

Out Of Trim
3rd Jan 2017, 13:45
The Spanish airlines seem to be able to carry both staff pax and revenue pax on any available jump seat.

Different rules for different countries..