View Full Version : Licence confusion

Kilo Fox
19th Dec 2016, 15:54
My wife has a UK PPL (SE Land) issued in 1994, a JAR licence which has just expired (because we were told you would not be able to transfer a PPL to an EASA licence without having a JAR!???) and in September sent off for a new EASA licence, which we are still waiting for. There's lots of confusion about what she can and cannot fly whilst waiting for her new licence to arrive which has taken an extraordinary time for the CAA to process, cheque cashed immediately though. Can anyone throw any light on what the rules actually are? She has access to a Piper Pawnee (EASA CS23) and a Husky which is non EASA. When we were chasing the licence today which still hasn't moved since 2 weeks ago were told she could fly anything UK registered, which is slightly confusing as both aircraft are UK registered but one is EASA the other isn't or am I getting confused too? Fortunately I changed all mine years ago so it doesn't affect me, but it might spoil xmas at this rate!!!!!

MrAverage
19th Dec 2016, 16:29
My understanding is, providing your good lady has a current SEP(land) rating (actually on the UK PPL's associated certificate of test - I don't think one on her JAR licence cert would count - plus a valid medical (( that would be either a Class II, a valid GP declaration or the new self declaration )) she'll be good for any G reg until at least April 2018, whether EASA or not.

Whopity
20th Dec 2016, 18:22
If you have the original 1994 UK licence with a valid aircraft rating (The JAA certifdicate will do) and Medical Cert then it can still be used with LAPL privileges on an EASA aircraft to April 2018, or with full privileges on an Annex II aircraft. If she only has the 5 year JAA licence that replaced it, and it has expired then she cannot exercise the privileges until the replacement licence arrives and is signed by her.