PDA

View Full Version : A320 Fuel Leak

Boyington
13th Dec 2016, 04:50
In case of a fuel leak in an A320 is there a thumb rule to calculate the endurance on board based on the rate of leak?

Goldenrivett
13th Dec 2016, 08:52
You are keen on fuel leak problems Boyington.

I would suggest that if you know the rate of leak (kgs / hour) and the fuel consumption of the engines (kgs / hour) - then add all three together and divide that sum into the fuel remaining.

Boyington
13th Dec 2016, 09:21
Thanks Goldenrivett. I may sound silly, but how do I find the rate of leak? Thanks.

Goldenrivett
13th Dec 2016, 09:48
how do I find the rate of leak?
Note the fuel contents and start a stop watch. After a suitable time interval X (say 10 mins) note the remaining fuel contents and work out how much has been used in X mins. Do the maths to work out how much fuel is being consumed per hour. Note the engines fuel rate - the difference is the leak rate.

vilas
13th Dec 2016, 15:38
There is no endurance calculation based on leak rate because there is no guarantee it will remain same. The first action in QRH after leak is detected is Land ASAP. So you need to know the range more than endurance. The situation will be either the leak stopped but one engine shut down or leak continues from wing or centre tank with both engines on and both of these will affect range/endurance. Safer diversion strategy is to consider that tank fuel lost and airfield within that range should be chosen.