glad rag
24th Nov 2016, 16:05
Was this actually deliberate?

West Coast
24th Nov 2016, 17:44
That was my question as well.

Simplythebeast
24th Nov 2016, 17:52
Looking at the tarpauline blowing about beside the flightline it looks like they hade a fair tailwind. Also interesting to see a dog wandering around the line too.

Bob Viking
24th Nov 2016, 18:32
Bearing in mind he flew almost directly at the camera, who stood very patiently waiting for what could otherwise have been a very routine take off, I'd be amazed if it was a coincidence.

Call me a cynic.

BV

MPN11
24th Nov 2016, 18:37
Competent Cowboys ... should we be impressed?

Just This Once...
24th Nov 2016, 19:51
Also interesting to see a dog wandering around the line too.

Leccy heaven.

megan
24th Nov 2016, 23:27
Competent Cowboys ... should we be impressed?Should we mention Oman at this point? :E

Buster Hyman
25th Nov 2016, 07:08
Was the dogs name N...never mind.

A_Van
25th Nov 2016, 09:38
Fighter pilots in Ukrainian AF fly about 20 hours per year. Looks like an ordinary landing for that pair was an issue and they narrow escaped a big trouble.

F-16GUY
25th Nov 2016, 09:39
Best way of stopping those kind of pilots, is to post the video on youtube!

Boris, why you film me on iphone and put on youtube. Now Alexander very angry..

Basil
25th Nov 2016, 12:49
Interview and samovar without medovik?

Kulverstukas
25th Nov 2016, 18:19
It's UA AF so it's salo and gorilka instead.

Basil
26th Nov 2016, 10:17
Thank you, Kulverstukas.
Perhaps a little Gorilka was part of the problem :E

Recollect when we used to refuel at Istres on the way to points East, being France, it was usual to have a glass of wine with lunch.

57mm
26th Nov 2016, 11:42
Also at Cambrai when on exercise Contact Delta with our FAF Mirage colleagues..

ImageGear
26th Nov 2016, 12:42
It is very interesting to watch the soggy bottom of the power curve fully explored and the tips of the ailerons working overtime to counter the rollover.

It seems to me to be a whisker away from a smoking hole with peripheral casualties.

The high AOA during recovery looks very scary, perhaps the power either just wasn't there or came in late.

Was the left main gear on the grass? judging by the cloud of dust?

Imagegear

glad rag
26th Nov 2016, 23:29
good spots Imagegear.

uffington sb
27th Nov 2016, 08:34
Did he have an engine out? There's no smoke coming from the left hand engine, and why were people watching and videoing?

West Coast
28th Nov 2016, 03:02
Did he have an engine out?

Freezing the video as the aircraft went by the camera, it apperas the left nozzle is significantly smaller diameter than the right. Perhaps some of our fighter bretheren can comment if differing thrust settings might be something to be expected while flat hating for a camera or would it be indicative of an engine failure.

glad rag
28th Nov 2016, 11:23
I concur west coast.

Stuart Sutcliffe
28th Nov 2016, 22:09
I am not convinced by the idea that this might be an unexpected engine failure. I cannot contest the differing thrust nozzle sizes but on the 'go-around' the subject aircraft is clearly (IMHO) making efforts to rejoin the formation leader. Why would he do that if he had experienced an unexpected engine failure? No, I think this is an undisciplined idiot messing around with his aircraft to the point where he could easily, as has already been stated, have become "a smoking hole with peripheral casualties." The running camera and bystanders seem to support that.

MSOCS
28th Nov 2016, 22:58
Not convinced the nozzles are mis-matched when looking at the footage frame-by-frame. A single engine failure would normally also require some AB in the working engine - to within tolerable yaw/roll limits (which I'm not familiar with). Both of these tend to convince me that the engines are ok. I'd also be surprised if, as the wingman, he or she hit enough vortex off the lead to roll away that much.

I'm with Stu on this one...

ImageGear
29th Nov 2016, 00:17
Just reviewed it again:

At the 0.55 mark, only be the starboard engine appears to be laying a smoke trail on the grass. Also, after passing overhead the cameraman, at around 0.58 mark, the turn to starboard for the join starts, which, as the aircraft is parallel with the tree line, becomes a little overcooked, and the wing must be picked up quickly with a fair boot of left rudder.

These things together suggest perhaps a broad hint of daring do gone wrong? possibly he/she became max'ed out and took some time to recover their composure.

This does not explain the dust cloud on the runway earlier?

A change of underwear and a stiff drink as a minimum and then there's the boss, not necessarily in that order I suggest :ok:

Imagegear

jwcook
29th Nov 2016, 01:52
Did he even have the landing gear deployed? Looks like he might have forgotten to deploy it and might have had an 'Ooops' moment. Other aircraft had gear deployed.

Buster Hyman
29th Nov 2016, 07:45
Looks like he's looking down at the camera man at 0:57.

And, I agree with you Mr. Cook. He either raised it very quickly, or never had it down in the first place!

Above The Clouds
29th Nov 2016, 07:59
Did he even have the landing gear deployed? Looks like he might have forgotten to deploy it and might have had an 'Ooops' moment. Other aircraft had gear deployed.
I agree the gear was not down hence the oh **** moment that resulted in a dust cloud as the power increased, but it seems there was a delay from the left engine along with a second or two to recompose his/her sphincter while yawing left.

Wild dogs are a normal occurrence around Ukraine and Russian airports, they seek shelter from the weather and food from the humans.

Meeting without tea and biscuits I think.

beardy
29th Nov 2016, 08:51
I would have expected the other aircraft to have noticed that his gear was not down. If he was no 2 with his gear still up, I would have expected that formating on an aircraft in approach configuration with his gear down, would have been extremely difficult, which could explain why he went round with engines accelerating from idle and subsequent asymmetric engine acceleration.

Blame the leader, who is after all responsible for his formation.

MoateAir
29th Nov 2016, 13:08
High angle of attack, high trust settings, low altitude off runway edge (2 ship). Perhaps lower altitude than planned having forgot the gear? Could/would that cause the dust cloud?

ImageGear
29th Nov 2016, 14:08
Just for clarity - both main gear legs were down at the time that the aircraft veered to port off the centreline of the runway (0.74 - 0.75) and the gear was then lifted some two seconds later.

Interestingly, the first one of the pair maintained the centreline and continued the roller, climbing away normally as airspeed built up.

I suggest that at the time the second one of the pair veered off the centreline, the driver was on a free ride and not in control.

Alternatively, it might have been to avoid connecting with his mate by doing the honourable thing.

But hey what do I know,

Imagegear

F-16GUY
29th Nov 2016, 16:38
That low pass is 100% intentional!

ImageGear
29th Nov 2016, 17:00
F16Guy

I acknowledge your unique insight into the event and will not ask how you can be so confident :ok:

Imagegear

MACH2NUMBER
29th Nov 2016, 17:25
For whatever reason he was completely out of control, intentional or otherwise. Do they still have Gulags?

Fonsini
29th Nov 2016, 22:59
His port engine is clearly out, and he was smart enough not to panic and go into burner on the good one.

Royalistflyer
30th Nov 2016, 14:37
Why would you point the camera in that direction for so long, so far from the aircraft that they were barely visible, unless you KNEW that one was coming right across you?

uffington sb
1st Dec 2016, 03:17
Royalistflyer.
That's the point I was making in my earlier post.
In my 29 years in ATC, if we had a camera, we always videoed an emergency landing and you'd always get spectators ready to see the crash!
I was assuming that one aircraft was shepherding the other and something went wrong on landing in the strong x wind, hence the the dust and subsequent go around and sphincter tightening climb out.
Perhaps Kulverstukas can tell what was being said by the camera man?

ian16th
1st Dec 2016, 05:16
Recollect when we used to refuel at Istres on the way to points East, being France, it was usual to have a glass of wine with lunch. And at dinner.

I know 'cos I was stationed there :cool:

Kulverstukas
1st Dec 2016, 06:07
Perhaps Kulverstukas can tell what was being said by the camera man?

Not much. In the beginning of the reel he comments to somebody: "No, no landing in pair, only takeoff". And at the end he exclaims "Wow such a video I managed to shoot" with F-words and mentions of intercourse with Lucy. :cool: