PDA

View Full Version : Best route Paris to Bangkok

Piper.Classique
20th Nov 2016, 08:55
I'm planning a trip in January, travelling with my elderly husband. We need either a direct flight or one with a stopover long enough for a relaxed night in a hotel. We'll be looking for premium economy, and will need airport assistance. Price is a consideration, but so is comfort. Need a sensible balance of the two.
Recommendations for airline, route, and convenient hotels, please.

Metro man
20th Nov 2016, 12:55
Qatar Airways with a night in the airside hotel in Doha, no premium economy but quite doable with a night in between, prices usually very reasonable.

Air France would be direct and offer P/E but prices will be considerably higher.

Most European airlines would have a connecting flight from Paris with a narrow body aircraft and then a wide body onto BKK whereas the ME3 should be wide body all the way but avoid the B777 in 10 across. Emirates can be booked A380 all the way. Turkish could be worth looking at. Oman Air come out cheapest but its B787 all the way which can be a bit cramped.

Qatar or Emirates would be my choice.

ExXB
20th Nov 2016, 13:52
Thai flies nonstop: 1230~0600+1 as does Air France: 16:20 - 0915 +1

Pom Pax
20th Nov 2016, 16:51
From fairly recent experience airport assistance with a wheel chair on arrival in Bangkok has been excellent.

However on departure unless you have you have your own chair extra time will be required because the service only kicks in after booking in. From the drop off point to check in is about 100 metres and seats are only nearby the counters. If this distance is too much it will be necessary to contact the airline desk so you can be picked up from outside. Now if you've got to check in Premium Economy will be an advantage because the zig-zag line will be shorter. Once booked in everything becomes very good with two exceptions. Firstly you may have to wait on the nearby seats for 15 to 30 minutes for a chair and a pusher, hence the need for extra time. Secondly the speed at which the pushers go down numerous ramps is quite scary! (This seems to be an experience with most airports.)

PAXboy
20th Nov 2016, 20:01
Thai don't have PE but the direct saves a lot of hassle.

rjtjrt
20th Nov 2016, 20:43
I would strongly advise against QATAR Airways, as a woman travelling with an infirmed partner, and especially caution against a stop-over in QATAR.
I have a close friend whose daughter was travelling qatar with a 12 months child. Child had need for a medical device to be available in journey.
Written approval to carry device was obtained from airline before departure from Europe.
In Qatar departing she was on board and was offloaded by security as crew didn't like the med device. Taken to small run down hotel without either her or childs bags nor hand luggage, and told she maybe able to travel next day/later but no one could say for sure. When she asked for hand luggage with childs med and childs special food, in not given to her. Told that if she rang embassy she would never be provided with a flght out of Qatar.
The lady is a very capable and sensible woman and not easily frightened, but she was very frightened but held it together.
Flown out on next day to destination.
Beware!!

esa-aardvark
21st Nov 2016, 07:21
If you don't mind a stop on route 'alternative airlines' shows
flights from Paris with Swiss/Thai said to be Premium, but I have no experience of them.
Did not even know that Thai had 'premium', but it seems they do to/from Zurich.
Zurich is a very easy interchange airport, my wife had to have wheelchair
assistance there several years ago and the service was excellent.

Gibon2
21st Nov 2016, 07:31
I never thought I would do this, but ... (deep breath) ... I recommend Air France.

I think for this length of flight, with all the wheelchair hassles getting on and off the plane and in and out of airports, a stopover is really not worth it (unless there is somewhere you'd like to go on the way, for its own sake). So I'd recommend a direct flight, and the Air France premium economy is really very good, not like the "economy plus" jokes on some other carriers. Big wide seats, plenty of leg room. I was pleasantly surprised when, with some trepidation, I flew AF PE to Shanghai a couple of years ago. It was keenly priced then - less than economy on the competition - but that has likely changed.

Many Air France horror stories involve the transit in Paris - but since you're starting from there, that doesn't apply.

The Gulf carriers (Qatar, Emirates, etc) are all very good in my experience, and I'm sure will look after you, but I just think the stopover will add complications, hassle and opportunities for things to go wrong - so that you won't arrive in Bangkok any more rested than if you'd flown direct.

Heathrow Harry
21st Nov 2016, 17:07
Paris Immigration/emmigration is no joke at the moment - very long queues to get in and out I'm afraid - I understand the reasons but allow a lot of time

Pom Pax
21st Nov 2016, 18:04
With wheelchair assistance have always been fast tracked at all checks except security during transit in Mumbai.

Note had a total of 10 ins & outs at Bkk

Piper.Classique
21st Nov 2016, 19:26
Thanks all. Sorting it all out now. I'll be avoiding Air France, though. Had too much experience of them in the past. The stopover and hotel are still looking like a good idea, sir gets very stiff and sore sitting too long in one position. He can walk with a stick, just not for too long at a time or very far. Also means at night time we can actually sleep in a bed, rather than in a seat. Of course, I get to struggle with his luggage, so will be vetoing a lot of the "just in case" clothing. Might just take one bag and go shopping on arrival ;)

ExXB
21st Nov 2016, 23:13
If you arrange your stopover with the airline, they may require you to check your hold luggage through to BKK. Qatar did this to us when we transited Doha. The hotel was a 'local' hotel, not western and their meal voucher barely covered lunch. Had 23 hours there, wouldn't do it again.

Piper.Classique
22nd Nov 2016, 18:51
Thanks, ExXB. Have now booked Emirates with a stopover in Dubai. I really hope the hold baggage is going through to BKK, that will make life a lot easier if I just have cabin baggage. We ended up in economy, but six hours at a time is doable, and we've booked a reasonable hotel. Son is meeting us in Bangkok, whole reason for the trip is to see his offspring after all. He can sort out the rest of the journey ;) Now to arrange the house sitters. Probably the hardest job.

India Four Two
1st Dec 2016, 15:39
PC,

I hope you enjoy your trip.

BKK has some of the longest treks between the gate and immigration that I have ever experienced. It is essential that you confirm wheelchair availability.

If I was in France, I would house sit for you. ;)

ZFT
1st Dec 2016, 20:37
PC,

I hope you enjoy your trip.

BKK has some of the longest treks between the gate and immigration that I have ever experienced. It is essential that you confirm wheelchair availability.

If I was in France, I would house sit for you. ;)

LHR T2 isn't much better. At least no elevation changes at BKK