PDA

View Full Version : Complex PBN - ICAO Definition

Navigating Life
10th Nov 2016, 10:32
Not sure if this is the correct FORUM - I'm new to PPrune - happy to be shot down in flames if any better suggestions for a better FORUM.[/I]

Can anyone throw some light into where to find information regarding the definition of what is 'Complex PBN', where PBN = Performance Based Navigation.

ICAO have changed the Operational Approval for PBN to make life easier for one and all, but have introduced a new term 'Complex PBN'. I'm finding it difficult to understand what this really means. I'm thinking it probably refers to difficult PBN approaches close to high terrain for example that an Operator needs to get a specific approval for from their Competent Authority.

Any help to set me straight is much appreciated.

Sleepybhudda
10th Nov 2016, 23:08
Which document did you see this in? Having read the ICAO PBN manual I'm don't recall seeing it. Could you give us a quote? The only thing close to that kind of terminology was advanced-RNP.

underfire
10th Nov 2016, 23:35
Complex PBN is a brand new term to the 2016 edition of the manual, because new versions need new terms!

Basically 'complex PBN' is defined as PBN specifications and operations which cannot (yet) be trained sufficiently during initial pilot training, ie RNP AR APCH, and RNP 0.3 helicopter operations.

In simple terms, AR by any other name (and defining all helo RNP .3) The new manual made RNP a 'normal' operation, with specific approval required only for RNP AR APCH...

Currently, we are working on the RNP AR Visual, (such as Nice) trying to get approval for when the AR procedure is flown visual, authorization is not required....

and as always...a picture!

http://i66.tinypic.com/33caj6g.jpg

fp1977
14th Jan 2017, 16:03
There is no 2016 Edition of the PBN Manual, and the term complex is unlikely to feature in the Manual's update .

helops
3rd May 2020, 16:56
Everybody talks about PBN as an endorsement to be added to the IR rating, which will be mandatory after 25 August 2020.

What about the aircraft then? If I have an aircraft not approved for PBN operations, can I still fly under IFR after 25 August 2020. (let’s suppose as a pilot I am PBN endorsed but I need to fly my PA28 which is not PBN approved)

Where can I find regulation regarding aircraft minimum equipment for IFR to know what to do after August 25?

thank you

aterpster
4th May 2020, 12:58
Everybody talks about PBN as an endorsement to be added to the IR rating, which will be mandatory after 25 August 2020.

What about the aircraft then? If I have an aircraft not approved for PBN operations, can I still fly under IFR after 25 August 2020. (let’s suppose as a pilot I am PBN endorsed but I need to fly my PA28 which is not PBN approved)

Where can I find regulation regarding aircraft minimum equipment for IFR to know what to do after August 25?

thank you
There is no such plan for FAA instrument ratings.