PDA

View Full Version : My training plan in Canada

pitcauvet
6th Nov 2016, 12:09
Hello everybody,

I'm introducing myself, I'm 26 and I've got a PPL with 70 hours. I'm considering to do my training as a commercial pilot in the English-speaking area of Canada. I have a few questions to ask in order to help me.

- is a CPL/IR enough to find a first job as a pilot? What kind of job? Which salary?
- do we have to take the ATPL to find a first job?
- in which area(s) there are most jobs?
- do you advise some flight schools ?

Thanks for your reply ! :)

NovemberWhiskyLima
7th Nov 2016, 21:31
There are some flight schools in Manitoba. I am at Harv's Air at St. Andrews airport.

pfvspnf
8th Nov 2016, 02:09
So many threads on this already, lots of good info on the forums.

You'll need the right to work in Canada , a CPL / IR will most likely be very difficult to find employment initially but anythings possible.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is not to let anybody put you down and tell you not to come to Canada. Most of these guys are unemployed or flying small airplanes and don't want anymore competition . For being such a friendly country there are some real jerks in the aviation field.

Good luck

Zeeshanraj7
8th Nov 2016, 02:37
I would recommend Toronto Airways or Harv's Air. Toronto might be bit expensive but one of the best school in Canada!

Best of luck

pitcauvet
8th Nov 2016, 07:00
There are some flight schools in Manitoba. I am at Harv's Air at St. Andrews airport.
What do you think of your school?

pitcauvet
8th Nov 2016, 18:37
I would recommend Toronto Airways or Harv's Air. Toronto might be bit expensive but one of the best school in Canada!

Best of luck
Why do you recommend Toronto Airways? I mean why do you think it is the best school?
Thanks !

NovemberWhiskyLima
9th Nov 2016, 12:20
It's not bad. They have many students and many instructors and planes. The planes are well-maintained. The people working here are quite nice and easy to talk to.

But recently the prices increased a little bit. It seems they got a little more money focused since the time I got here. Maybe costs of operations increased, I wouldn't know so it's not a fair judgment from my part, just a personal observation.

There's onsite accommodation and 15 mins drive to Winnipeg city with everything you'll need. Winnipeg is a cheap place to live in so that's good.

St. Andrews is a good place to fly out of. Many airports around for exploration. Proximity to Winnipeg International gives you plenty of real life experience.

0ps
9th Nov 2016, 13:31
- is a CPL/IR enough to find a first job as a pilot? Yes What kind of job? Most likely 703 Which salary? 30-40k
- do we have to take the ATPL to find a first job? No
- in which area(s) there are most jobs? NT, Northern parts of ON, MB, SK, AB
- do you advise some flight schools ? Which ever is convenient for you

airQ
11th Nov 2016, 04:16
there are also quite a few opportunities in eastern Canada right now, Companies like Pal/Air lab/Evas/others all hire low hour pilots for dispatch/ground with quick advancement to flight lines.