PDA

View Full Version : Engine Replacement

Fujiflyer
4th Jul 2002, 20:44
Following the discovery of excessive metallic particles in the oil filter of our aircraft and the subsequent engine strip-down it looks as though it is going to be more economical for us to have the engine replaced with a zero timed (overhauled) unit rather than having the existing one repaired.

One option which has been suggested to us is a Millennium engine - these are overhauled by a company who were apparently formed from a spin-off of Lycoming. Their guarantee covers 5yrs or TBO (whichever is first), parts & labour. This is superior to Lycoming's own guarantee.

My question is: Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these engines and/or the company who produces them?

Help Appreciated

Rich

cblinton@blueyonder.
4th Jul 2002, 20:54
Fuji,

We are in the same boat.
Jade air has our Bonanza ready for a new unit to be installed and the millenium option is open to us.:confused:

Fujiflyer
4th Jul 2002, 21:05
Hi CBL

Glad your repairs are progressing. Lets hope we can get some advice on these engines,

FujiF

BRL
4th Jul 2002, 22:32
Hi Fuji. Sorry to hi-jack the thread but i hope they get KT back quickly as i am starting to miss her...... :(

Pictures of her are here........ Fuji pics (http://groups.msn.com/BRLPictures/fujiegkapictures.msnw)

CBL, once again a quick well done. I wasn't to far away from you when that happened and you done a great job landing like that. :)

A and C
5th Jul 2002, 08:21
I,v seen all these claims for guarantees before and they are usualy only honored when the engine is retuned to the overhaul shop.

If the shop is in the USA then the cost of removing the engine and refitting ,as well as the shipping costs make the guarentee worthless to you on this side of the atlantic.

The Lycoming factory guarentee may not last as long as the other shops but it covers ALL the work needed to restor your engine to working order including the removal and refitting and shipping if required.

As most problems will show them selfs with in the first 200 hours or so the chances are that the lycoming guarentee will cover you for this.

Having had to make guarentee claims for owners in the past I have found lycoming to offer very good costomer support unlike some that I wont mention here.

I have had no dealings with the millenium engine company and could not comment one way or the other on the quality of the work or guarentee they offer but I would advise you to READ THE SMALL PRINT in the contract before you commit your self.

Stampe
5th Jul 2002, 10:27
Manufacturers new or remanufactured engines are the best way to go invariably cheaper over the medium term.Avoid American overhaul shops at all costs U.K. rebuilder engines can be O.K. but often don,t work our any cheaper especially if you consider all the new ancillaries that come with a new or Remanufactured engine from the factory.I have always had good backup from the Old Yorkshire Light Aircraft (now Multiflight) for my engine purchases don,t know what they are like now!!.Shop around ,check prices and what you are actually getting.

Three Wheeler
5th Jul 2002, 13:49
We fitted Millenium cylinders 300hrs ago to our 0-360 (Assume this is the same company which you refer) to. They were a bit more expensive than Lycomings but were produced with a better quality casting process and due to a redesign of the heads claimed better heat dissipation and cooler running than Lycomings. We've just had the engine back from being zero timed at Norvic as part of a shock load inspection (another story) and the only work they carried out on the Cylinders/heads was to replace the exhaust valve guides - more for the sake of it while it was in pieces than anything else. Don't know if you've spoken to Norvic, they might be worth having a chat to about zero timing your engine - they'll fit whatever cylinders you specify.

Fujiflyer
5th Jul 2002, 21:46
BRL, Hi Mate,

Thanks for the piccies. I'm really missing flying right now, especially after the fun in June. :(

Fujiflyer :(

PAFRA John
7th Jul 2002, 17:17
Rich sorry to hear the Fuji's got a dicky engine. The Rallye ended up with 4 new Millenium pots prior to it being totalled in the ground incident. I was very imperessed with the cylinders. They carried a longer guarantee, were better in respect of the amount of metal around the exhaust/inlet ports had longer castings around valve stems, all the studs and gaskets were supplied - and best of all they were cheaper than Continental replacement cylinders !!.

Go for it - get a price from Adams or better still take a trip to the USA and "hand carry" one back !!:eek:

A and C
8th Jul 2002, 09:04
If you bring aircraft parts in from the USA make shure that you have a FAA form 8130-3 to cover them or your engineer cant fit them to a UK registered aircraft (a yellow tag will not do)

tacpot
8th Jul 2002, 10:56
I've thought about the idea of hand-carrying parts back the States, but wasn't sure if VAT or any other duty would be payable on them. Anyone know the offical line on this?

distaff_beancounter
8th Jul 2002, 12:43
tacpot Yes VAT is payable on imports of aircraft parts. So is duty, unless you have a HM Custom & Excise "End Use" number.

In practice, UK maintenace companies & aircraft parts wholesalers, usually all have End Use numbers, and, of course they can recover the VAT paid on import, if they are VAT registered.

On VAT, to a private individual, who is not VAT registered, there is probably little difference, as you will either pay VAT on import, or VAT to the UK parts wholesaler, if you buy it that way.

If the part is installed onto a UK registered aircraft, by a maintenance company that has an End Use number, then there is no duty payable. The maintenance company does not have to pay duty on import, nor does it have to charge the aircraft owner any duty.