PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the channel

Coke611
4th Jul 2002, 17:34
Hi guys.

Just wondering- Has anyone here ever crossed the channel into europe? What has to be done beforehand? What about customs etc? Are the procedures different from flying to the UK?

Cheers,

Coke611 (Louis Coke)

BRL
4th Jul 2002, 17:40
There are millions of posts all about procedures for flying accross the channel. Please look further than page 1 here and look for anything that mentions flying in france for example. there are loads of threads on this subject, just look around a bit more....

foxmoth
4th Jul 2002, 20:35
In reply to the first part of your post - I believe this has been done before.
:rolleyes:
As for the second ?, Quick resume:
Book customs if not a full customs field (applies both ends)
File flight plan
fill in fuel drawback and send off with fuel reciepts.

Who has control?
5th Jul 2002, 08:01
OK, so a question has just popped into my head.

Louis Bleriot was the first to fly from France to England, but who was the first to fly from England to France??

(Assuming that M. Bleriot didn't just turn round and fly back again)

tomcs
5th Jul 2002, 09:00
WHC....I could have sworn that Louis Beriot flew from England to France!! not the other way round or am i being silly!

Tom

distaff_beancounter
5th Jul 2002, 10:54
I agree with tomcs :p

Aussie Andy
5th Jul 2002, 10:58
From http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/bleriot.htm:
Louis Bleriot achieved world acclaim by being the first to fly an aircraft across the English Channel, a feat of great daring for those times. On July 25, 1909, in his Model X125 horsepower monoplane, he braved adverse weather and 22 miles of forbidding sea and flew his machine from Les Barraques, France to Dover, England. This 40 minute flight won for him the much sought after London Daily Mail price of 1000 pounds sterling.

distaff_beancounter
5th Jul 2002, 11:10
Coke 611 For the smaller UK airfields that are not "customs" airfields, many have made arrangements so that you do not have to book customs in advance. This concession only applies to G reg aircraft, with only EU passport holders on board, flying to a destination within the EU.

It is worth asking your flying club, or airfield operator about your local arrangements. For instance at Elstree, all we have to do is fill in a customs form & hand it into the tower, with the flight plan. The FISO then faxes the form to the local customs office. On the form you have to enter your ETA back at Elstree. In practice customs officers do turn up at Elstree occasionally, to do the odd spot check on returning aircraft. :)

distaff_beancounter
5th Jul 2002, 11:12
Whoops.....

Aussie Andy to distaff beancounter

"you ARE the weakest link ..... Goodbye! " :D

Who has control?
5th Jul 2002, 11:31
Now we've got that sorted - (thanks Andy) -

Q1 - Who was the first to go the other way?
Q2 - How much booze & fags did he bring back? :) :)

FormationFlyer
5th Jul 2002, 13:13
The first the other way was (i think) Charles Royce of Rolls Royce heritage.....he flew to france and back again - it was the first round-trip flight at any rate....

FF

FNG
5th Jul 2002, 15:18
That's Charles Rolls (Royce's first name was Frank). Rolls was indeed the first man to fly across both ways, without landing at the end of the first leg, but I'm not sure if someone had done an England to France crossing before (other than Monsieur Baptiste who did it by balloon in 1794).