PDA

View Full Version : Lycoming 0290

Oscar Duece
4th Jul 2002, 12:47
Currently looking to build a PFA 2 seater, can't afford to throw thousands away each year at annual on CAA types any more.

Looking for an engine option between 108 and 150 hp. Dont't seem to be many. Have heard about a Lycoming 0290 fitted to the type I am looking at in the past (Pazmany PL-2) but cant find any listing in my books for the engine, or even a price for a new one.

Any clues at to what they were fitted on, did they have any problems.

Also any other alternative engines appreciated.

:cool:

QDMQDMQDM
4th Jul 2002, 13:04
I've heard spares for the 0-290 have been problematic and expensive in the past, although that may have been sorted out now. Worth checking up on, anyway.

QDM

wyrmio
4th Jul 2002, 14:18
OD,

Here is a web link for you if you want to see what aircraft the O-290 has been used on.
http://home.adelphia.net/~aeroengine/Lycoming.html
Not able to comment on the reliability.

Other engines to consider would be the ubiquitous Lycoming O-235 (about 116 HP normally) used in Cessna 152, Piper Tomahawk and a bunch of other things. May be a little underpowered, but reliable. Need to remember that it is the only engine in Lycoming's current range which has manually adjustable tappets and so do need periodic adjustment. Lycoming's others engines have hydraulic adjusters and so automatically adjust themselves.

Some of the parallel valve Lycoming O-320's are lower power than most, coming in at 140 HP to 150 HP. Again known reliability as fitted to some early PA28-140 Cherokees, PA 22 Tri Pacers, Super Cubs and the like.

There is also the more obscure, like Rolls-Royce / Continental O-240 of about 125/130 HP. This was fitted to Rollason Condor, Robin HR200/100 and Reims Cessna 150's.

Finally how about the new 6 cylinder Jabiru 3300? This looks pretty well engineered, is a new engine with small frontal area and delivers around 110HP. May be worth considering...;)

A and C
4th Jul 2002, 14:42
Keep clear of the of the O-290 it has been out of production for some time now and parts are becoming a bit of a problem.

It was a narrow deck engine the crankcases are not as strong as the wide deck cases found on the later O-320/360 engines

For the power range that you are looking at the in my view the best engine for you would be the Lycoming O-320 with the low compression cylinders but it must be the later type with the wide deck crankcases or you will have the same problems as with the O-290.