PDA

View Full Version : B777 Engine Display

RobinF
6th Oct 2016, 14:22
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can assist me here. (This pertains to the PMDG B777 flight sim aircraft, but i assume applies in real world too) Flying a B777 in severe cross winds, the left engine showed a red indication. Does anyone know why this is?

IFixPlanes
7th Oct 2016, 10:10
The box in red indicates a past redline exceedance.

lomapaseo
7th Oct 2016, 12:45
Flying a B777 in severe cross winds, the left engine showed a red indication. Does anyone know why this is?

You didn't define what flying conditions you were in at the time, like altitude and speed.

Possibly you had inlet separation

IFixPlanes
7th Oct 2016, 13:19
...Possibly you had inlet separation
Inlet separation? :=
You would get more warnings than just a red box for that.

JammedStab
25th Oct 2016, 02:23
The box in red indicates a past redline exceedance.
Correct, there was an exceedance but it is no longer over limit.

Had the exact same situation a couple of weeks ago with an EGT exceedance during a full thrust takeoff. During the exceedance, the entire circle of the associated EGT was red(and probably the numbers as well with a red box but I am not sure for that part). Once back within limits, the circle is no longer red but there is a red box. This red box is not always in view. It can be cancelled and recalled by pressing the recall/cancel switch. Once cancelled, it comes into view only when the recall switch has been selected and is displayed along with the recall items.

A320ECAM
25th Oct 2016, 03:02
Robin, the red box indicates that you exceeded N1% for that particular engine. I'm guessing the sudden onset of severe xwinds caused the AT to power up and that's what caused the issue.

Now I'm not sure particularly on how the B777 works or how PMDG model their B777, but I'm sure the red box has to be reset on the ground by an engineer and the engine has had to exceed N1% for the minimum of 5 minutes?

RobinF
14th Jan 2017, 11:51
Hi guys, many many thanks for the feedback and answers. The conditions were beyond safe operating conditions. I was landing in a hurricane with a massive crosswind from the port side. Landed safely, but not something one would do otherwise.