PDA

View Full Version : DXB tower and app

OscarKilo
3rd Oct 2016, 00:38
Why so little talk about DXB recently? Lots of vacancies! Could anybody talk about what's going on there? I'm thinking of jumping ship to go over there but I'd like to know what I'm getting into

Thanks

CEP
3rd Oct 2016, 06:14
From the frying pan into the fire....
Lots of vacancies because of all the people jumping ship here. Not too many people left who aren't putting their escape plans into action, and most people here have one.
One candidate for an APC last week, the others that were scheduled wisely withdrew their applications.....
The silver lining is a myth.....:E

ATLATC
4th Oct 2016, 16:05
Perhaps the large number of vacancies at DXB will cause SERCO to reconsider the arbitrary 50+ yr old age hiring restriction??????

throw a dyce
4th Oct 2016, 16:23
Ahhh but that doesn't exist.They have hired over 50s before but as I was told over 50s have trouble validating and maintaining standards!! ( Really) However it's illegal to advertise in the UK a job advert that discriminates on age.So make your own mind up on if there is an age limit.

ATLATC
4th Oct 2016, 17:00
I understand the illegality of age discrimination, both in the UK and the US. However, when an individual with tremendous experience (FAA) at major international airport ATC units is not even granted an interview, it makes me wonder. Not to mention the "rumors" I've heard about the same.....

throw a dyce
4th Oct 2016, 18:41
Yes understand how you feel.However with the avenues of escape widening then Dans/Serco strange ways might change when they get desperate.I don't understand their criteria and I suspect they have no idea themselves.A few years ago I would have been bothered about it....Now don't give a F**k. Bon chance DXB.

grizzled
4th Oct 2016, 19:41
Serco UAE is not bound by UK or US law. It is quite legal in the UAE to discriminate based on age (or sex, religion, nationality, and many other attributes). If you have any doubt about that, just check out a copy of the job ads in any UAE based newspaper or website. Having said that, Serco (UAE) has occasionally hired ATCOs who are past the company "cut off" age but only if those people are already personally and professionally known to Serco. Otherwise you will NOT get an interview.

To be clear, I am making no comment whether Serco's policy is wise or even appropriate, but it's their show.

throw a dyce
5th Oct 2016, 08:07
Thought it was DANS show and Serco just did what the customer wanted.So come to the Gulf for a healthy helping of discrimination on sex,religion,nationality,age,etc with a dose of Nepotism to ice it off,and no pension to wash it down....Or stay where you are.Hmmm Choices
Actually they are missing a trick with the older guys who are drawing a pension already,have tons of experience and want a small adventure for a year or 2.They are available and would put up with the BS for a small while.
Anyway good luck recruiting all the people that are needed to plug the gaps.Must fly teeing off in 30 mins!

OscarKilo
10th Oct 2016, 22:54
Thanks for those that replied

One more question, SERCO and DANS are advertising the same positions, which one is the better road to go down?

360BakTrak
11th Oct 2016, 02:08
DANS without doubt.

sandviper
14th Oct 2016, 20:37
Don't be fooled by the dans vs serco nonsense, the real issue is that a drastic and severe cultural change in the senior management now means you are seen simply as a slave. You have no rights. You have no career. you have no voice. you are an expat, shut up, do as you are told and don't speak unless you are spoken to.

And for the few brave souls who dare to question the completely idiotic and frankly naïve way to run the ANSP, only bad things will come to fruition. I just hope the environment they are creating will not end too badly. Its doomed to fail, it just depends on whether that's through a lack of service delivery for the stakeholders, or god forbid, a Swiss cheese model resulting in something more severe and devastating.

sandviper
15th Oct 2016, 04:41
that's a dans imposed restriction

grizzled
24th Oct 2016, 11:17
sandviper....

What is a DANS imposed restriction?

PointMergeArrival
24th Oct 2016, 14:58
DANS/Serco are facing the same problems as Emirates. Their usual sources of talent are no longer interested, they do nothing to retain staff and everything Sandviper has written is on point.
Why would you leave your unionized home country to be treated as a slave?

g25
6th Apr 2017, 13:52
Considering all of the above views on the current situation at DXB would someone mind sending me a DM with info of the current packages on offer from Dans and Serco.
Thanks