PDA

View Full Version : EGKK SID profiles

leon737
1st Oct 2016, 18:33
Good day,

Should I follow the SID vertical profile or remain at the initial altitude disregarding all other following constraints until I will get the clearance from the ATC?

For example, CLN4X departure. The initial is 4000' but SUNAV should be passed at 5000'. In case I don't have a contact to the London before SUNAV I have two options: to stay at 4000' or climb to 5000' according to the special warning on the chart.

Nimmer
1st Oct 2016, 18:41
Hi there, follow the SID profile, as the SID is separated from other routes. If you don't climb on the profile, then in theory you could come into conflict with other routes.

leon737
2nd Oct 2016, 19:31
Yes, but it looks like the ATC has another opinion.

FlightDetent
3rd Oct 2016, 01:35
I think ICAO changed the rules in PANS-ATM (Doc. 4444) about 6 years ago. If no altitude clearance is issued, follow all published constraints. Once an altitude has been assigned, the vertical profile should be completely disregarded unless specifically instructed to observe (part of) if.

To get the point across without any doubt, in the UK ATC will say "climb NOW FL xxx).

If you had visited LGW recently and feel confused, I think there must be some misunderstanding in the root of it. For one, ATC is much better trained than us in these things. Pilots do how much, 4 approaches / departures a day, whereas ATCO manages the same excercise in about 6 minutes.

leon737
3rd Oct 2016, 18:33
The recent departure was LAM2X (if I remember it correctly) from 26L without any specific altitude clearance. We just passed 4000' climbing to our next constraint of 5000' (less than 3 miles ahead) struggling to make a initial call to the controller with a number of miserable attempts to find a little pause in endless jabber. The controller blamed us for the altitude bust, stating that the implicit clearance given was the 4000' only.

Up North Like
4th Oct 2016, 12:13
It seems the mix up could have come from the first contact with London.

Did you actually make contact with the controller or not?

For example, if you made contact and he responded with 'Roger, squawk ident' then it would signify he expects you to continue on the SID profile.

If he said 'Roger, squawk ident, climb to altitude 5000ft' then that is him giving you a new cleared altitude and as such any further climb above that - even if you are following what would be the SID profile i.e 4000ft at SUNAV then up to 5000ft at LAM - would be the bust he is referring to. He has superseded the SID constraints by telling you to maintain lower. Similarly if he had said 'maintain 4000ft'.

I get the impression you didn't make contact and as such you would be right to continue the SID profile, both vertically and laterally if there was no contact.

ZOOKER
4th Oct 2016, 13:49
Looking at the current chart in the UK AIP, dated 08 July 2016, I would interpret it that:-
1 In the absence of heading instructions/vectors, you follow the lateral profile.
2 In the absence of level instructions...
You climb initially to 4000', crossing KKW02 above 1500', KKE09 above 3200'.
The not above 4000' restriction applies until KKE11.
Between KKE11 and SUNAV, climb to 5000', to cross SUNAV level at 5000'.
Maintain 5000' to DETLING VOR.
At DETLING, climb to 6000', to be level by KKN52, and maintain 6000' to
CLACTON.

Any re-clearance to higher levels than those shown on the SID profile should include the phraseology "CLIMB NOW". If given a 'climb now' instruction, you should still adhere to the minimum level restrictions shown, as to fly below them may take you outside CAS.
Also, if ATC issue an instruction, say in this case, 'maintain 4000' on reaching', then you don't climb above 4000' until instructed. ATC are then responsible for ensuring you remain within the lateral and vertical limits of CAS.
And of course you should follow the speed profile too, unless ATC instruct otherwise.

pukeko
13th Oct 2016, 12:38
Whole new AMDT package of ICAO (Doc4444) procedures/phraseologies for SID/STAR climb/descent comes into effect 10 NOV.

Notion of "initial level" disappears, only "cleared level" will exist.

So without a new cleared level, no higher climb (except EMG/RCF).

In the same package, "VIA" will indicate to follow the profile/speeds, but still only to the cleared level.