PDA

View Full Version : Q about logging hours

MeeNotYou
25th Sep 2016, 21:30
I hope I am posting this in the correct spot. Please forgive me if I am not.

I have somewhat of a silly question. I will soon be starting my training as a professional pilot (ATPL Integrated). That said, I am already researching career opportunities post training.

My question is this:
During my time in the Marine Corps I did 3.5 years as a Crewchief on CH-46 helicopters. Basically, I was the enlisted guy in the back of the helo that fired the guns, fixed the aircraft, did pre and post flights etc. I was a member of the flight crew, but not a pilot.

Now, I know flight time logged will not count as airplane hours, and certainly wont count towards some of the more formal requirements such as PIC, landings, etc. None-the-less, can I count official flight hours logged in my total hours when someday applying for my ATP or when representing my total hours to future employers? If yes, is there a reference?

Technical info regarding the flight time: All flight time is logged and certified in an OPNAVFORM 3760-31 Aviators Flight Log Book. All flight time is logged under 'Special Crew Time'. Instrument time (act/sim) and night time are logged. I have 419.9 hours logged.

Again, I feel a bit silly asking as it seems this time would not be counted, but if it legally can be, may as well put the service time to good use.

Thanks and regards~

Mustapha Cuppa
26th Sep 2016, 16:24
Which aviation regulatory structure are you talking about?

MeeNotYou
26th Sep 2016, 16:48
FAA and/or EASA. I am not sure if I will do EASA ATPL-I then convert it to FAA or simply head back home to do FAA as my initial. Either way, my first working gig will likely (rather hopefully) be for some of the carriers in the Middle East, and I am not sure which set of regulations they adapt to.

That said, I dug deeper into the FAA literature and am pretty sure I know the answer - which is NO - as I assumed it would be. But, didn't hurt to ask I guess.

Thanks for taking a look. And should I be wrong and there is a way to list special crew time that isn't logged with direct manipulations of controls or time served as an FE, then I would be more than interested in some sources.

Regards to all. Happy and safe flying~

Johnny F@rt Pants
27th Sep 2016, 06:54
There is s column in most log books for "other flying", this is where I would think you would log the type of flying that this sounds like, ie, a member of the crew but not in direct control of the aircraft. However, these hours do not count towards your total flight hours.