View Full Version : Expired Australian PPL to EASA

23rd Sep 2016, 20:33
Does anyone have experience of Aussy PPLs?

Pilot has Aussy PPL but not flown for 2 years - and has lost log book.

UK EASA rules say to convert an ICAO licence it must be valid.

But, Australian CASA website says endorsements stay valid and it is up to the pilot to keep current.

I'm tempted to specify training as required with ground exams and a full LST.

Any similar experience encountered would be good to hear. Shared service centre ignored emails!

24th Sep 2016, 01:03
You will need to have your flight review valid on your licence. For EASA to accept it as current and valid. Without this they will make you do the whole thing again.

you will be up for the 7 exams again, anyway.

At worst try and find your flight school that did your training and request a copy of your training records for proof of hours.

24th Sep 2016, 07:07
If he has lost his log book, how are you going to prove he meets the hours for conversion?

Licence and ratings have to be valid to convert. By valid that means current to fly. We get this all the time here in Spain as we specialise in conversions.

24th Sep 2016, 08:39
As boseX says, he has to prove he meets the hours requirement, specifically 100 hours. Somewhat difficult without a log book.


You really should know this stuff, or at least where to look it up.


It's not all seven (in any case there's nine at present) but just Air Law, Operational Procedures, Human Perf and the Radio Practical.

24th Sep 2016, 09:13
.......sorry Broadlands, I got a bit personal there and we haven't even met.

24th Sep 2016, 10:04
Mr Average
No problem, not taken personally. The procedure for converting the ICAO licence I know well, it's how the CASA implement revalidations that I am not too familiar with.

There is the option in 804 to have a notary declare estimated hours in a lost log book, but I have not heard of this option being used.

24th Sep 2016, 12:44
The rule is very simple. If they are going to convert they must be able to fly on the licence they are converting from. That means meeting the validity requirements. So if this guy has not flown for two years then he does not have a valid licence to convert.

A google brings up the revalidation requirements. It's broadly similar to the FAA.