PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training in USA

Vin Diesel
3rd Jul 2002, 13:47
As a low hour SPL frustrated with flying in a different a/c each lesson, although with the same instructor, frustrated with blustery x-winds and inclement weather generally I was thinking of travelling to the states to finish the PPL and proceed to CPL/IR level, with FI rating and multi engine rating.
Can anyone recommend a school, or equally important, advise of schools to steer clear of. I would be particularily interested to hear from past pupils from schools to hear of their appearances.
I have been seriously considering Anglo American Aviation, and Comair Academy, although the "guaranteed job interview" does sound too good to be true.
Indeed does anybody have any other schools to recommend, or indeed anyone insistent that training at home is the better though more expensive option.

Any comments appreciated.

Romeo Romeo
3rd Jul 2002, 14:50
You're opening up a real can of worms with this one! Form the threads which I've read about this, Flight training in the states seems to be very competitive and quite a few of the operators seem to be very defensive about what people say about them on Pprune (threatening court action and so on). It does make you wonder why they are so against an open debate.

I learnt over in the states at Ormond Beach about six years ago. They're OK. The accommodation was nice, but it was a bit of a factory (which is fine if you don't mind putting up with that sort of thing) and I have to say I was a bit disconcerted by the way, on one of my flying exams, the examiner took the brakes off, taxied to just outside his office then got out and didn't come back for 30 minutes! This was logged as part of my test - they were 'flying' hours which I was paying for, but it is difficult to see how the instructor could be PIC when he's not even in the aeroplane! I wasn't the only one this happened to. It seemed standard procedure.

I've heard that Naples Air Center in Florida are pretty good. Have a look in this thread 'US IR for UK IMC qualified pilots' in this forum for the comments of others.

BRL
3rd Jul 2002, 15:18
Sir. There is soooooooo much on this forum about flying in the U.S.A. Please do a search, its so easy to do and will come back with a lot of threads regarding what you want.
Looks like you want to go commercial too at the end of it so i would also advise going to look and search the Wannabees forum. I am locking this thread for the above reasons and also to stop an all out usa v's uk debate that happens on this kind of thread.

If anyone wants to have a go for me closing this thread, feel free to E-Mail me and i will discuss at even greater length why i chosse to lock it. Also, if anyone wants to add any information here, please e-mail Vin direct. Thank you.