PDA

View Full Version : BHX Security

EGGW
3rd Jul 2002, 12:04
Has anyone else on this forum been having trouble with BHX security, with regard to being able to get Leatherman type tools in your flightbag, to the aircraft.
I had a set to with one guy, showed him the DETR/CAA permission that these tools are needed/required for our job. This guy wasn't just doing his job, but was rude and unhelpful.

What we need is some sort of co-ordination between airports, with regard to what is/not allowed, at present its a lottery. I can dream on i suppose :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is anywhere else in the UK a problem for anyone??

moleslayer
3rd Jul 2002, 12:40
I haven't seen this letter you refer to EGGW, it would be most useful to have a copy. Is it possible to make a copyable post ?
I'm having similar trouble at various european airports.

vanman
3rd Jul 2002, 12:59
Yeah - have been completely unable to carry mine since 'beefed up' security measures. Captain I was with had his confiscated when our day went west and we positioned home on other carrier.

Would be very interested in the detail of this letter.

EGGW
3rd Jul 2002, 13:00
It only applies to UK airports as far as i know, the DETR/CAA letter.

vanman
3rd Jul 2002, 13:07
It would be highly likely to only apply at UK airports, but it's UK airports who seem to have the zero flexibility approach which necessitates such letters.

For those ignorant few to whom this letter remains a mystery can you please spill the beans? Who's it addressed to (ie can anyone use it or is it specific in its limitations etc)?

Where does one pick up a copy?

moleslayer
3rd Jul 2002, 16:58
Mr LUTON MAN now you've got us all excited, where's the letter. Sure could use it !!

skyclamp
5th Jul 2002, 08:26
Soon you won't be able to go out to your airplane, in case you take off and do something with it. You're not trusted.

Big Ron
5th Jul 2002, 18:11
We worked a lot out of Brum over the last few months with Manchester ID`s and found them ,shall we say, keen, checking pilot`s licences in addition to ID`s and thorough searches.
Mustn`t knock them for doing their jobs though as it is for our safety as well but the standing joke was that they were about to have a sim installed to check we could handle an engine failure at V1 to prove we were pilots.
Perhaps it is the attitude of the security staff here that is the route of the problem.

Hwel
7th Jul 2002, 11:25
The letter refered to is directed to Aircraft operators, Aerodrome Managers, Security Approved Air Cargo Agents, and Catering Undertakings. It is dated 26 Sept 2001 from the Head of Policy, Implementation and International Branch at the DTLR. It sets out the post sept 11 Package of measures. I dont want to go into it on a public forum but if you work for an airline speak to your ops manager as it probably went to him/her. It runs to 16 pages inc schedules and was sent by fax initially.

vanman
7th Jul 2002, 11:38
thanks Hwel - Iknew someone would spill the beans eventually ;)

WupWupPullUp
9th Jul 2002, 08:44
BHX Security always seem to be 'all or nothing'. They don't seem to be able to strike a balance.

I'm not having a dig at the hard working people - I'm sure they're just following management-set rules, but here are two circumstances I actually experienced as a PAX :

1. Acft landed. PAX disembarked via acft stairs and then up the metal stairs into the air-bridge (small RJ acft). I was speaking to crew, so was last to disembark - about 60 seconds after everyone else had left. Walked up airbridge, but door now locked & no staff around. Walked back down air bridge onto airside. Acft crew now gone as well! Then had to 'wander' round airside, unaccompanied (and carrying my hand luggage) until I found a flourescent-jacket wearer about 5 aircraft stands away.

2. Checking in - going thru security - carrying laptop case. Went thru x-ray and boarded flight uneventfully. It was only when I got to hotel room that I realised I had forgotten to remove my rather large swiss-army knife. (I keep it in laptop bag when not on international assignments for work-related reasons).

Is it me ???!!
:confused: :p

Smokie
9th Jul 2002, 13:25
BHX security is a pain at the best of times. I just recently nite stopped BHX, postioned back next day in uniform, then to operate the next BHX rotation.
I kept my nite stop kit to a minimum in my flight case, toiletries, clean shirt etc.
On checking through security they relieved me of my nail scissors,a cork screw, sewing repair kit and buttons, razor and refill cartridges and numerous pens.........!

This P1ss taking has got to stop ! The tail is now very obvioulsy wagging the dog.
And No, I don't have problems at any other airport, just B(F)HX !

:mad: :mad: :mad:

KingoftheRoad
18th Jul 2002, 09:44
Thought I'd revive this one, as chaos still seems to reign.

Took note of recent discussion above.

Replaced said 'Leatherman' in flight case, removed when last requested a couple of months back - fair enough.

Entered security as operating crew, informed them of aforesaid item, mentioned existence of 'The Letter', wink-wink,nod-nod, know what I mean.

Well, no, they did not know what I was on about ,offending item confiscated.

What the hecks going on?

SLF
18th Jul 2002, 12:56
WupWup - same thing happened to me and 2 others 2 weeks ago, when the handler was a little slow retrieving the Valet bags. A few handsignals were spotted by the flight deck and we were "rescued".

In February I was finally relieved of a pair of nail scissors at BHX that I'd completely forgotten about, so well spotted guys (eventually!) after about 10 trips. Of course, they were also missed by AMS, CPH, LHR and WAW... :)

Cheers - SLF