PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Airlines incident in the Philippines

Farrell
20th Sep 2016, 08:50
https://www.rt.com/news/359961-saudi-plane-hijack-manila/

Cloudee
20th Sep 2016, 08:52
https://www.rt.com/news/359961-saudi-plane-hijack-manila/

"Some local reports on Twitter suggest the plane may have been hijacked. Other reports say the pilot could have pushed the alert button by mistake."

Farrell
20th Sep 2016, 08:55
Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.

Methersgate
20th Sep 2016, 14:36
Word reaches me from Manila, via translation of Tagalog TV news, that the pilot pressed the button by mistake. Twice.

413X3
20th Sep 2016, 15:05
Pilot mixed up hijack button with chemtrail button, simple mistake we all make at one time.

Methersgate
20th Sep 2016, 15:21
Decent report in Rappler ("quality" online newspaper), here:

Saudia plane in 'isolation' at NAIA ? reports (http://www.rappler.com/nation/146801-saudia-plane-naia)

Fratemate
20th Sep 2016, 15:22
Pilot mixed up hijack button with chemtrail button, simple mistake we all make at one time.

I knew this would happen one day. In these days of considered ergonomics and cockpit design you'd think the two buttons would be shaped differently to distinguish them apart and, more importantly, located far away from each other. I can understand why the chemtrail button is placed where it is, giving such easy access as it does but there's no reason why the hijack button should be in such a prominent position, given its rare use. I've suggested the chemtrails should be auto-initiated when passing 30000' (that being considered the height for best spread) but it would seem that many pilots still want to retain manual control and so we have to keep the button. How they managed to press the hijack button twice beggars belief but I suppose that's better than pressing the other button twice :eek:

core_dump
20th Sep 2016, 16:50
This is precisely why the hijack button needs to be guarded like the self-destruct button is.

Contact Approach
20th Sep 2016, 17:25
I once sat on the hijack button by mistake. Was a little hazy after a strong one in GLA.

DIBO
20th Sep 2016, 17:46
Common guys, it's clear he needed full hijack power, that's why he pressed the hijack button twice. It also shows it was an experienced guy, pressing the button twice, instead of dialing 911 into the FMS.
PS: and stop talking about chemtrails in public, they are watching us

flaphandlemover
20th Sep 2016, 18:18
Guys why do you blame the pilot...
maybe the wires between the chemtrail button and the hijack button have been crossed ... easy mixup due to the proximity and shape... We all know that we need to press the chemtrail button twice in 1500ft before landing....

it was engineering's fault.... I am sure...

fox niner
20th Sep 2016, 18:49
I once turned on the chemtrail, as per procedure when reaching 30000. It turned out that the chemtrail exhaust was installed the wrong way round! It filled the whole cabin with smoke and we couldnt see a thing. Let alone breathe...It took me 30 seconds to find the button, the tactile way. Phew! Next to the hijack switch.