PDA

View Full Version : Someone crashed into a house ...

paperHanger
18th Sep 2016, 15:34
Plane lands on house in Phoenix, Arizona, everyone survives - BBC Newsbeat (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37400570/plane-lands-on-house-in-phoenix-arizona-everyone-survives)

"A pilot, four skydivers and the two occupants of the home have all survived after a small plane landed on a house in Phoenix, Arizona.Fire officials in the US suburb of Gilbert say the people in the plane were all able to eject before the aircraft crashed onto a house."

Ejected eh? Must be those new fangled multi-occupant ejector seats they are fitting to old 182's these days ... just hold your arms and legs in as you go through the roof and it's fine ... :O

PAXboy
18th Sep 2016, 16:44
Or just wait for the impact and you will be automatically ejected through the open door. :p

ATC Watcher
18th Sep 2016, 17:58
Ejected ? pilot jumped from plane with parachute
as I suspect the 4 skydivers. this happened at night ? or it is just the photo taken much later ..

DaveReidUK
18th Sep 2016, 18:19
this happened at night ?

Around 50 minutes after sunset.

Carbon Bootprint
18th Sep 2016, 19:12
Back in my skydiving days, the pilots always wore a chute, as did any "observers" who weren't planning to depart the airframe. I imagine it's probably an FAA reg for such activity, and good practice in any case. The gear they use now is more flash than it was back in my era, but then we used to want the old 180 and 182 to get up to at least 1000 feet so we'd have time for the canopy to fully deploy.

It still begs the question: what caused the crash? If it's true that the pilot received burns, a possible fire on board? Most pilots won't jump unless they have a really good reason, and I guess that would qualify.

er340790
18th Sep 2016, 19:33
It was bound to happen eventually... :rolleyes:

DaveReidUK
18th Sep 2016, 22:36
It still begs the question: what caused the crash? If it's true that the pilot received burns, a possible fire on board? Most pilots won't jump unless they have a really good reason, and I guess that would qualify.

Reports do indeed suggest an in-flight fire preceded by a "bang".

WingNut60
19th Sep 2016, 00:00
Night-time jump ..... pyrotechnic device ???

Chief galah
19th Sep 2016, 01:33
Slightly related.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyt-sIMym0

peekay4
19th Sep 2016, 05:44
Looks like a demonstration team jumping with pyrotechnics. The skydivers exited normally and perhaps lit the pyros a bit early on the exit, igniting fuel vapors from wing. Pilot notices wing on fire and bails out. (To be confirmed.)