PDA

View Full Version : Propellerhead

formationfoto
3rd Jul 2002, 09:18
Isn’t aviation a bitch?
I have just finished reading ‘Propellerhead’ which chronicles the experiences of a guy learning to fly a Thruster in the skies above East Anglia. Great book and mentions both my home airfield and most of the landmarks I regularly use.

The author was prompted to learn to fly the Thruster in order to give him the ability to thrust with the opposite sex. He saw the ownership of a pilots licence as an immediate attraction to desirable women.

This prompted me to consider my own motives for learning to fly and to take stock of my successes.

I concluded that my motives were very similar however the result was different from the objective. I have now spent 15 years and nearly 2000 hours perfecting my flying skills and feel that I am close to achieving the level required to confidently impress young, wealthy, adventurous, women. Sadly I am now penniless and too old to offer sufficient attraction to the sort of person I am keen to attract. To make matters worse it appears that members of the female sex are taking it upon themselves to gain their own licence. Many of the posts to this forum are evidence of this.

So as I see it today:

I assumed that an offer to fly in a twin to Le Touquet for lunch, a pleasant evening flying low in an open cockpit biplane, or a birds eye view of the countryside from an R22 would provide a high level of attraction.

Now that I am able to offer these things all other contributors to attraction have eroded.

Meanwhile the unattainable relationship has become even more unattainable as the objects of my desire are using their own pilots licence to attract wealthy young businessmen with homes on three continents, a yacht, and huge bank accounts.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions for a poor, forty year old, experienced pilot who has an uncanny knack of repelling attractive women?.

stiknruda
3rd Jul 2002, 10:17
My top tip would be , "Don't let your attractive wife hang around your flying club!"

:D :D :D

Are you sure you are only 40?;)

Obviously revved hard when cold!

Stik

englishal
3rd Jul 2002, 11:38
excellent book...just finished it too....

:)

distaff_beancounter
3rd Jul 2002, 12:32
Well formationfoto, over the last decade, most forward thinking women, have discovered that the best way to meet real men, was to study for a male dominated career, & take up male oriented hobbies, such as flying. ;)

So, if you want to get where all the other women are, then you need to retrain as a nurse or teacher, & take up hobbies such flower arranging, or dressmaking.

On the other hand, perhaps you should not. Judging by the PPRuNe posts from other females, all the right kind of women have given up on the domestic stuff & are taking up flying instead. :D

Mind you, some of us couldn't half do with a well trained house-husband. ;)

Grim Reaper 14
3rd Jul 2002, 13:20
Drink heavily, don't take any exercise, wash infrequently, be rude to anybody you can, and ignore advice from others...;)

formationfoto
3rd Jul 2002, 15:25
Stik
Surely you have heard of rounding errors - O.K 43 - my spreadsheet always rounds down.

I presume your advice explains why your own marital attachment is not to be seen regularly in attendance at the airfields of Norfolk - I thought that the single seater aircraft ruse was just that.

distaff_beancounter
3rd Jul 2002, 18:25
formationfoto & stiknruda

I would describe 43, as "approaching 40"

but just forget to mention, that it is actually:-

"approaching 40 ...... from the far side" :D