View Full Version : FI vs CRI

10th Sep 2016, 08:57
Quick question regarding UK CAA licensing as you get a quicker answer from there than gatwick.

I held a FI, CRI and IRI rating. Now as everything is under my FI rating, I have let my IRI and CRI rating expired with the FI still valid.

I'm now getting qualified to fly a PC12 which is class rating(non complex). On the CRI rating, I would have to do 15h PIC and a fly with an instructor to extend my CRI to the PC12.
However I did not find any requirement as such as an FI. If I'm correct, even as only a FI I could instruct for class rating and as such the PC12 is a class rating on a non complex aircraft.

Is there a requirement to make a fly with an instructor for the FI, or as long as I'm qualified to fly the PC12, i can also instruct on it.

thx for the help.

10th Sep 2016, 10:52
As an FI all you need to do is to ensure that it is included in your instructional privileges. Different States seen to have different ways of doing this. In the UK it should say: "in accordance with FCL 905.FI" and then if it includes the letter (b) it covers you for any non high performance SE class or type that you are current on.

10th Sep 2016, 20:14
Thanks Whopity for the information.

I got the (b) on my rating however when reading CAP 804, the (b) :

(b) class and type ratings for single-pilot, single-engine aircraft, except for single-pilot high performance complex aeroplanes; class and group extensions for balloons and class extensions for sailplanes;

only exclude SP HPA complex. However the PC 12 is just an SP HPA, it does not have the complex in the EASA class and type rating list.

Guess I'll have to send a mail to Gatwick. Or ask them to revalidate my CRI based on my FI rating.

10th Sep 2016, 21:21
The CRI will not give you anything the FI does not. For HPA you would now need TRI!