PDA

View Full Version : How do you revalidate an Instructor's rating?

Heliport
2nd Jul 2002, 22:34
Posting this for a friend.
He's an ATPL on 747's, held a QFI rating until 1998, and would like to renew it to do some GA instructing again.

Anyone know what he needs to do?

Thanks in advance.

BEagle
3rd Jul 2002, 05:56
First he goes to the CAA SRG website, then he finds out how to buy a copy of LASORS (£5). This will tell him what he needs to do to renew his rating. This will depend upon several factors - if he rings the CAA instead, they will also tell him to buy a copy.

He will probably also need to renew his SEP (Class) or MEP (Class) ratings as well if he has only flown 747s for the past 4 years.

Was he really a 'QFI' - i.e a graduate of CFS? Or was he a civil FI, FI(R) or AFI?

(He should also note that many eager young FI(R)s nowadays won't be terribly happy to see someone with a 747 'day job' taking what some of them perceive to be 'their' flying off them.............)

Heliport
3rd Jul 2002, 17:03
Thanks BEagle. I'll pass on the pointer to the CAA site.
The sloppy terminolgy was mine - he was a qualified (civvy) Flight Instructor.

I'll pass on the warning that he shouldn't expect too warm a welcome from 'the many eager young FI(R)s'. He genuinely enjoys instructing, kept it up even though flying airlines, and let his licence lapse only because domestic commitment prevented him from continuing for a few years.