PDA

View Full Version : recalled phone allowable?

autoflight
6th Sep 2016, 03:49
Are airlines in Australia stopping pax from bringing on board battery exploding mobile phones? It is one thing to know about a general risk, but a specific risk is quite another matter is it not?

27/09
6th Sep 2016, 05:12
Just how did you propose to police this?

josephfeatherweight
6th Sep 2016, 05:56
You haven't exactly provided us with much detail to form an opinion. What are you talking about?

LeeJoyce
6th Sep 2016, 06:24
GN7 must be off at all times and NOT used

announcement made at the gate prior to boarding

starts today

DeltaT
6th Sep 2016, 08:19
@josephfeatherweight
Samsung has a general recall out on their brand new Galaxy Note 7 phone, approx 51,000 in Australia alone, due to a battery fault which sees them explode!
...google for more info

josephfeatherweight
6th Sep 2016, 10:22
Many thanks, hadn't seen it!

Going Nowhere
6th Sep 2016, 12:49
QLink allowed in flight mode but must not be connected to a charger while inflight.

autoflight
6th Sep 2016, 22:05
Thanks for info GN

YPJT
7th Sep 2016, 03:41
As far as I'm aware, no mention being made at VARA outport boarding gates or during check in. Not sure if cabin crews are mentioning it during safety briefs.

BleedingAir
7th Sep 2016, 03:48
We're mentioning it as part of the initial safety PA. May be used but not charged inflight.

Going Nowhere
7th Sep 2016, 11:55
QF now saying they must remain completely off inflight as well as not being charged.

regional_flyer
8th Sep 2016, 16:54
Cobham charter requiring announcements both on the ground and on-board, devices are to remain off at all times.

zanthrus
8th Sep 2016, 22:48
No way to enforce this. How would they know what you have in your pocket? Can they spot a GN7 at 50 paces? All phones look alike from a distance in someones hand.

Deaf
9th Sep 2016, 00:08
It is a large phone, perhaps CC will have quick phone ID session.

Snakecharma
9th Sep 2016, 00:14
They will figure it out fairly quickly if it bursts into flames and the owner gets (a) singed balls because it is in his pocket (b) charged with failing to follow the instructions of crew and possibly (c) charged with reckless endangerment or whatever the equivalent is.

But as we have seen numerous times people are dumb. I can't believe the number of people who were whinging about having to return it.

ranmar850
9th Sep 2016, 14:24
I have one, flew Skippers out of PBO on Thursday, no mention of it. Problem only happens during charging.To ban their use altogether would be somewhat of an over-reaction. I am quite happy Telstra is replacing mine--I dropped it the other day and cracked the screen edge, the replacement will have a case.:-)

Car RAMROD
10th Sep 2016, 05:54
And because they are used so heavily these days, people carry power banks to charge their phones. God forbid people thes days run out of phone battery!

You'd really be happy with this fairly extreme risk on your flight, ranmar?

Ban on carriage, I agree probably not the best solution. But they should be treated a lot like e-cigarettes- not checked in and they must be off; the questions should be asked by checkin staff and it should be announced on board to keep them turned off.

It's not like this thing has been recalled because of software issues. It bloody catches fire easily!!!

DeltaT
10th Sep 2016, 21:02
Samsung want you to stop using it altogether, nevermind about charging it.
Article (http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/84132023/samsung-tells-consumers-to-stop-using-galaxy-note-7-smartphones)

Capt Claret
11th Sep 2016, 00:07
QLINK jets, pax instructed that they must be turned off, and not charged in flight.

ranmar850
11th Sep 2016, 01:15
According to all available information, Samsung have determined that it ONLY happens during charging. It doesn't just " catch fire in someones pocket" (as I Phones have been known to) So asking you to just switch it off right now is just the typical response to modern risk management. Or the Elimination option of the Risk Management Hierarchy of Control, I suppose. These have been an exceptionally popular new release, majority of reviews rate it as the best Android phone currently available. So hundreds of thousands out there in the first few weeks. Battery fires (not explosions) during charging happened in some tens of cases. (initial report was 35 worldwide, two in Australia) Telstra were straight onto it, I registered and there is a loan phone on its way to me with a return mail bag for the GN7 . Which doubtless means that my "dangerous" phone, as well as thousands of others, will be in freight holds of aircraft in the coming weeks.
Irony, much?
BTW, I have always been slightly uncomfortable with leaving anything with a lithium battery on charge and unattended. It has long been my personal practice to have such things as phones and tablets charging on a non-flammable surface such as a stone benchtop or sink, wherever possible. So for this phone, ops normal until the replacement arrives.

Comoman
11th Sep 2016, 02:36
Banned totally from Emirates/Etihad - even if switched off.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/technology/a/32584643/emirates-bans-samsung-galaxy-note-7-on-its-planes/#page1

C441
11th Sep 2016, 02:41
I wonder if the adherence to this directive will be any better than passenger's immediately selecting 'Flight Mode' when instructed pre-flight? :rolleyes:

It's interesting to see how many 'Personal Hotspots' are active on the taxi out - best yet was 11 on a taxi out on a 737 recently.

Oldmanemu
15th Sep 2016, 11:25
And to this day, CASA remain silent. No advice, no alerts. Nothing.

LeeJoyce
15th Oct 2016, 07:33
Banned banned banned for QF and JQ

Not allowed on person or in baggage

Issued today

wiggy
15th Oct 2016, 08:17
Interesting - if I am reading the article correctly it seems to be a total ban on carriage.

Wonder how many folks on their travels are going to chuck their phones in the hotel room bin?

underfire
20th Oct 2016, 00:29
got this email on booking. note carried, not on/off/checked.

Dear Customer,

Please be advised that from Sunday 16 October 2016, Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices can no longer be carried on any Tigerair Australia flights.

This is due to safety concerns around the device and follows the implementation of a ban by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

For all flights departing from tomorrow Sunday 16 October, customers travelling on Tigerair Australia services must comply with this ban by not travelling with this device, whether on their person, in their carry-on luggage or in a checked bag.

The use of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices is currently prohibited on all Tigerair Australia flights and the complete ban announced today is an additional safety measure.

We apologise for any inconvenience to our customers but safety is always our number one priority.

to/from MEL..17th to 19th, no one checked carryon, or even asked. Other than general announcement at the airport stating a ban for all flights, security did not check, nor did the gate personel. Checked baggage is automated, and no check on that.

underfire
20th Oct 2016, 00:34
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsHysnpVIAA-cFH.jpg

morno
20th Oct 2016, 01:53
I guess they are hoping no one would be stupid enough to try underfire.

If someone carried one onboard and it burst into flames, then I would expect that they would be punished to the full extent of the law for endangering my aircraft and the lives on it. It is also in the onboard announcements, which constitutes a direction from the Captain.

morno

ranmar850
20th Oct 2016, 05:00
The last announcement I heard pre-boarding was that there was no carriage on the QF flight, and also that Qantas staff would not handle the phone. So your only alternative was to forgo your flight, or bin it and walk away? It has blown up into such an issue that Samsung's reaction to it has been to set up exchange booths in some Australian airports, where staff can issue an acceptable loaner and also help with some data transfer.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/samsung-plans-to-collect-banned-galaxy-note7-smartphones-at-australian-airports/news-story/58aec334d54abbec34add4554cb6db03 A more detailed list is on Samsungs website. I flew Monday , and didn't see one . Had my 2 yo Galaxy Note Edge questioned at GET security, but not the boxed Samsung S7 in my carry-on, nor asked to open the bag.. the old Edge had a very short retirement.
I personally think Samsung has bent over backwards on all this--I have never seen a consumer electronics company go to such lengths to try to keep their customers happy. In stark contrast to Apple, whose standard reaction toan obvious problem is to deny, deny, deny--two large class actions agianst Apple in the US at the moment over major issues ( including fire in some cases) with the iPhone 6.

zanthrus
20th Oct 2016, 13:49
Hey I have a bomb....oh wait I mean a phone.....

Capn Bloggs
20th Oct 2016, 15:03
It has blown up into such an issue that Samsung's reaction to it has been to set up exchange booths in some Australian airports, where staff can issue an acceptable loaner and also help with some data transfer.
Talked to the Samsung bloke at XXX this arvo. Almost apologetic, he/Samsung are doing a swap to a new S7 Edge, with data swap as well (using Smartswitch), on the spot. I felt sorry for him.

I personally think Samsung has bent over backwards on all this
Agree. Pity XXX, YYY and ZZZ aren't as proactive about aviation safety!

ranmar850
21st Oct 2016, 01:11
First Samsung Note7, now reports of iPhone 7 bursting into flames (http://www.news.com.au/technology/apple-investigating-report-aussie-surfers-iphone-7-ignited-and-burnt-out-his-car/news-story/684a2ca848f41ce30af71225a358d3db)
Iphone 7, and not the first one either.