PDA

View Full Version : Grumman Aa1a - A Good Bet?

unclearthur
2nd Jul 2002, 19:42
I spotted an ad for a Grumman AA1A at an affordable price the other day. I have been looking for a suitable economical aircraft for some time and have conidered the Europa, Vans, Luscombes and several other 2 seaters.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of the type. I have surfed the various Grumman web sites and looked at a few ads from around the world to compare prices.

One thing I spotted on the web was that the AA1 does not like grass. Is this a factor? I would be operating off grass so don't want to make a cardinal error at this stage. I can't see why it wouldn't be suited to a grass airfield but would appreciate any views.

Finally, the aircraft in question is on the N register. This is not a major issue as I have the appropriate FAA licences but I would appreciate advice on the mechanics of using and maintaining the aircraft in the UK.

Grateful for any advice.

MikeSamuel
2nd Jul 2002, 21:27
Is it the one with the really really cool red-ish paint job? I want it! Seemed very good value that one...

Kermit 180
3rd Jul 2002, 09:04
In my opinion the Grumman AA-1 is an honest little trainer with few vices. It is of simple construction and powered by the trusty Lycoming O-235, and has few AD's on it.

The AA-1 approaches and lands at higher speeds than other two-seater trainers in its class, but a responsible and current pilot will have few problems in getting it onto a grass runway (provided of course that the take off and landing performance is calculated according to ambient conditions on the day). Take off performance is nearly as good as the PA38. However, caution should be taken to ascertain what type of propeller your AA-1 has fitted. Some have cruise-pitch props which will take your cruise speed to 105-ish knots, but with a marked reduction in take off performance.

The AA-1 is comfortable and roomy inside, provides good visibility for the pilot, and has a dash that is wide and usually well laid out. Overall a reasonably good aeroplane to learn and have fun in.

Kermie

unclearthur
4th Jul 2002, 21:43
Thanks Kermie. Sounds good. Think I'll take it for a test drive. I noticed you come from New Zealand. I hope your winter is better than our summer!

Kermit 180
5th Jul 2002, 09:05
AA-1 Information Website (http://www.grumman.net/specific/yankee/)

Hi, our weather has been miserable (hope that makes you feel better about your 'summer').

Check this website out for some info on the AA-1, some good tips for potential buyers etc.

Kermie;)

unclearthur
5th Jul 2002, 20:08
Thanks again, Kermie. I flew down to have a look at the little beastie today. Looks nice.