PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Flitestar vs. Navbox

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Jul 2002, 19:10
The question has been asked before on this board, but not for a little while, so I thought I'd see if there are any new opinions.

Which one is best to go for? Jeppesen flitestar has terrain info, whereas Navbox doesn't. How, though, does the usability of the two programs compare? Or, simply, how happy are users with either one or the other?

The reason I would be buying would primarily be to upload routes, waypoints and what-have-you to my GPS.

Thanks in advance,

QDM

Chilli Monster
2nd Jul 2002, 21:17
Navbox ProPlan for me - best value for money there is.

Ask yourself this - do you really fly enough to justify the Jeppesen expense?

CM

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Jul 2002, 21:39
Ask yourself this - do you really fly enough to justify the Jeppesen expense?

Thanks, CM. Useful to hear.

What I should really ask myself, of course, is whether I fly enough to justify the expense of all of it, full stop. Don't dare, though.

;)

QDM

Keef
2nd Jul 2002, 23:18
Navbox Proplan.

I didn't think I needed it. I used to sit for hours with a pile of charts to work out a route. Margaret used to tease that I spent more time faffing about on the lounge floor than I did flying the aircraft. She was right, too.

Then I got Proplan. It takes a tiny fraction of the time, I can check all sorts of stuff as I go, I can upload the route to my GPS (if I want to do anything as daft as that), and Proplan knows far, far more airfields than Bottlang does so I can actually FIND the place I'm looking for!

If you fly regularly any sort of distance, you will NOT regret spending a little dosh on Proplan. If you limit yourself to 50 miles from home base, you won't need it. But you could still have fun planning imaginary trips...

BRL
3rd Jul 2002, 00:50
Here are the 2 previous threads....... No1 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52982&highlight=flitestar) No2 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48802&highlight=flitestar)