PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield to close in September?

Romeo Romeo
2nd Jul 2002, 18:01
Rumour has it (according to the ATC forum) that Sheffield will be closing in September. Has anyone any further news (or gossip) on this. It'd be a shame because they're always nice to talk to and fill in that little gap between the nice people at East Mids and the other nice people at Leeds.

I've been tempted to land there but it only accepts twins (although come to think of it, I am a twin, so I could go there with my sister :) ), or I could land and when they complain that it's only a single, put a hand over one eye and say "Bloody hell, you're right", in a similar fashion to that Monty Python sketch about climbing the two peaks of Mount Kilimanjaro.

Negative 'G'
2nd Jul 2002, 18:25
Yet again this appears to be another of Peel Holdings Charades which in the long term will reduce local aviation. I was told when it was still in the planning phase that it would only be there for a few years and then the commercial developers would move in..............Not more retail parks please ! I mean who in there right mind would have passed the runway orientation as it is (Straight at Sheffield city centre for those who have'nt seen it) thus reducing its availability to twins only !

Neg G:mad:

Rattus
2nd Jul 2002, 19:06
Not only does the RWY point straight as an arrow at the town centre, but they also erected that colossal spoil heap, so that when the wind is in the south, the 10 and 28 windsocks point at each other. Have you ever heard the ATIS NOT say "varies between..."?
Look on the bright side - we might get back that bit of open FIR they've been trying to control since they opened.
:D

Jinkster
3rd Jul 2002, 11:30
Sheffield airport is a little bit of a joke anyway - very small number of flights per day.

What will happen to Finningley then?

niknak
3rd Jul 2002, 18:30
It's no great suprise, the last scheduled operator pulled out a couple of months ago. Most of the movements are provided by the police helicopter.
The orientation of the runways should have had no bearing on what type of aircraft operate there, several other UK airports have approach and climb out lanes which over fly populous areas and singes are still permitted to operate.
Ironically, single engined aircraft are (or were) permitted to do instrument training at the airport, but not touch down - whats' the difference? :rolleyes:

No great charade by Peel either, they made a substantial investment in the place, and have always made it clear that as soon as planning permission for Finningly is granted they would close Sheffield, (officially the public enquiry results are due in March 2003, but more likely to be Sept 2002).

Any "loss" to general aviation by the percieved loss of an airfield they were virtually excluded from, will be hopefully replaced in the very near future by a fully operational international airport.
Peel has made it clear that they'll welcome all types of G/A, in addition to the considerable commercial traffic they antcipate at Finningly, and with all the space available at finningly, there's no reason why they shouldn't.

Anyway, like or not, Sheffield is going, and even if the owners don't close it, the constant movement from beneath (the spoil heap), will eat it eventually.:(

camaro
3rd Jul 2002, 22:13
The CFI at Netherthorpe has recently been flying CAA people in C152 and PA28 to assess whether okay to allow single engined GA traffic into Sheffield.....don't know result though.

foghorn
4th Jul 2002, 08:17
If they accept singles I for one will be a regular visitor with my parents just down the road. I usually have to use Gamston (don't fancy Netherthorpe in the AA5B - they're not noted for their short field performance)

cheers!
foggy

knobbygb
4th Jul 2002, 10:08
There's a poster on the wall at our club advertising what a friendly, good value and generally all-round ideal place Sheffield is to fly into (as long as you have 2 engines, of course). All a bit 'too little too late' if you ask me. They recently reduced GA landing fees, I beleive and were specifically advertising ILS practice approaches for singles as well. I'll check the prices/details etc. today if anyone's intereted.
Camaro, I'd be interested in any updates as things progress with the s/e assesments - it'd be nice to get it 'in the book' before it closes.

WorkingHard
4th Jul 2002, 20:49
Understand restrictions on S/E imposed by local authority and NOT by CAA. Heard also that BAe may be moving in

camaro
5th Jul 2002, 09:57
Knobbygb

Will let you know as soon as I hear 'owt.

I'll ask the CFI next time I see him.

Camaro

camaro
10th Jul 2002, 09:48
Spoke to Netherthorpe CFI yesterday.

He has not heard much since he took the CAA people into Sheffield.....not looking good....CAA okay with single ops, local authority dead against.:rolleyes:

foghorn
10th Jul 2002, 11:51
Bu**er.