PDA

View Full Version : CPL Flight Test under Part 61 - CSU Requirements

Guptar
2nd Sep 2016, 05:36
Under the Pre part 61, you needed to do a CPL Flight Test in an aeroplane capable of 120 kts with a traditional CSU.

I've been looking at Part 61 and the MOS for the new requirements. Is the CSU & 120 KTAS requirements still in effect...I just can't find it.

Just brainstorming for an academy type fleet(overseas cadets). Diesel is the way of the future. Piper Archer DX for every thing up to CPL test and Diamond DA 62 for IFR. Could CASA issue a dispensation for this Archer DX for CPL.

The name is Porter
2nd Sep 2016, 08:41
Guptar the CSU, 120kt requirement is still there, (I'm heading out for a beer, reference later). Cirrus qualifies even though there's no pitch control, (straight from an FOI)

AmarokGTI
2nd Sep 2016, 12:44
Guptar the CSU, 120kt requirement is still there, (I'm heading out for a beer, reference later). Cirrus qualifies even though there's no pitch control, (straight from an FOI)

At the place I last worked a candidate had a CPL test form sent back by CASA as he didn't have MPPC.
This was just before P61.

(This test was done in an SR20)

Guptar
3rd Sep 2016, 00:22
Ok I found it

Appendix I.1 CPL Aeroplane category rating flight test

1. Flight test requirements

1.1 An applicant for a commercial pilot licence with aeroplane category rating flight test must demonstrate her or his competency, in the units of competency mentioned in clause 3, by performing manoeuvres in an aeroplane, within the flight tolerances specified in table 2 in Section 1 of Schedule 8 of this MOS.

1.2 For subclause 1.1, a sustained deviation outside the applicable flight tolerance is not permitted.

1.3 For Schedule 2 elements A2.3 and A4.2, if sufficient cross-wind conditions do not exist at the time of the flight test then, providing the examiner is satisfied the applicant’s achievement records indicate that competency has been achieved during training, the element may be excluded from the flight test.

1.4 The aircraft used for a flight test for the aeroplane category rating must have the following characteristics:

(a) cruise true airspeed of not less than 120 kts;

(b) a powerplant with one of the following:

(i) turbine engine with propeller; or

(ii) piston engine with variable pitch propeller.

Now questions that this poses.

They have no reference to MMMC so does this automatically mean a next gen aircraft with a single power lever is acceptalble.

The 120 TAS speed requirement. Casa don't specify a power setting or altitude. If an aircraft can make the 120 KTS TSAS only at 75% power and optimum altitude does it qualify.

I have to say some Arrows I have flown in the past would struggle to make 120 KTAS except in a dive.

Cloudee
3rd Sep 2016, 01:49
We have had several people pass their CPL flight tests in a Cirrus SR22 so MPPC was clearly not a requirement. This was pre pt 61. As with all things CASA, probably open to individual interpretation. Always ask for a specific reference when CASA knock something back.

Tinstaafl
3rd Sep 2016, 04:32
The 120kt TAS used to be on aircraft POH performance figures, not achieved figures. I doubt that changed for the new rules. Mind you, I think it was a step backwards from the previous CSU/retractable/180 HP requirement.

olm8tyrone
3rd Sep 2016, 09:03
Retract wasn't previously required.

Tinstaafl
3rd Sep 2016, 22:40
Yes, it was. Go back some years earlier, to before the 120kt requirement was introduced. That's the period to which I referred. Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

The name is Porter
5th Sep 2016, 23:37
They have no reference to MMMC so does this automatically mean a next gen aircraft with a single power lever is acceptalble.

I have got it confirmed by an FOI that Cirrus is acceptable for the CPL test.

mikewil
30th Sep 2016, 09:35
I have got it confirmed by an FOI that Cirrus is acceptable for the CPL test.

Presumably someone would still need an MPPC endorsement to get into something like a 182 after passing their CPL having only flown a Cirrus?