PDA

View Full Version : Strange Flying Jacket Pocket!

AerBabe
2nd Jul 2002, 17:37
At the PFA Rally I finally managed to find myself a flying jacket that fits! But... I'm slightly intrigued by the inside pocket in the small of the back. Obviously it's not the best place to keep your sandwhiches, so what is it for? :confused:

Romeo Romeo
2nd Jul 2002, 17:54
My mate had a barber with a large pocket in it - he said it was hiding rabbits in after you poached them.

Keef
2nd Jul 2002, 18:09
Hip flask. Unreachable in flight, preventing alcoholised flying, but available after forced landing for solace and protection.

englishal
2nd Jul 2002, 20:30
Hip flask. Unreachable in flight

Thats what the box of Becks between the rudder pedals is for...:D

Maybe the back pocket is for those 'dodgey landing moments'...if you get my drift ;)

Cheers
EA:)

AerBabe
2nd Jul 2002, 21:27
Dodgy landings? Moi? :confused:

:D

You mean a hipflask to sooth the pax nerves, and a bit of padding and a clean set of undies for the Captain? ;)

Keef
2nd Jul 2002, 23:38
Ah, yes, of course. It's where you store the grease for the greaser landings. Why didn't I realise that?

Tell me ... with that fine leather jacket, do you also wear a babygro flying suit with another 144 pockets? There must be some kind of award!

I'd like a leather jacket, but by the time I paid for the kids' education and wedding prezzies, I could barely afford the avgas...

Windy Militant
3rd Jul 2002, 09:25
I have a USAF firemans jacket which has a multitude of pockets including a pocket in the small of the back. I was told that it was for maps. With a bit of wiggling you can fit three Newckie Brown bottles in there ;) I find it handy for nipping down the shop on my pushbike saves taking a bag:)

Grim Reaper 14
3rd Jul 2002, 13:13
Same principle as marsupials, you keep your baby in it.
You can de-frost vegeburgers in it, on your way to a fly-in.
Or maybe it's for a 'do-it-yourself' lumbar roll, those seats get pretty uncomfortable after a while.
It's for the quarterback to keep his hands warm during a game of American football, if it's a long snap count......

:confused:

eveepee
3rd Jul 2002, 13:47
Aerbabe - Perhaps your new jacket is based on the PackaMac principle - you can fold(screw) it up and shove it in its own pocket for ease of transport ; especially useful during our hot Summer weather!:)

AerBabe
3rd Jul 2002, 19:24
Unfortunately it's not a leather one Keef :( I drooled over those ones briefly, realised they didn't fit and I couldn't afford one made to measure, and moved swiftly onto the fabric ones.
No baby grow as yet, but at some point I'm gonna learn to fly something which warrants wearing one. ;)

EVP: "and shove it in its own pocket"
Briefly I thought you were going to suggest something else! :eek:
Nice idea though... but I just tried it, and it comes nowhere near fitting in.

Gash Handlin
3rd Jul 2002, 19:57
AB,

Is it an ex military flying jacket? if so is the 'pocket' held up by loads of bits of velcro?

If this is the sort your talking about then its actually a big flap that drops down and goes through your legs and fastens to the front inside of the jacket (notice the little loop attached to the bottom of the inside hem?). It's there to stop the wind going up the inside and makin you cold if you have to wander round in the arctic wastes.

If however its nothing like this at all then please accept my apology for wasting your time ;)

Gashy

p.s. and anything else I have to apologise for too, seems I owe a few of them :(

AerBabe
3rd Jul 2002, 20:15
Nope, it's just a pocket. The jacket is a new one. Nice try though :D
Thanks for the apology, but I'm probably the only person you don't need to apologise to ;)

Hone22
4th Jul 2002, 09:04
My 3 guesses:)

a) To slip back protector into (motorbike racers have them for crashes).

b)To slip a lumbar support type pad into.

c) The anti-pickpocket pocket for important stuff.

Was the jacket made in China?? I've seen some weird designs/sewing on some of the "cheaper" imports.

Hairyplane
4th Jul 2002, 09:15
Its a mystery pocket - thats what it is.

I have 3 old planes, one new one and still no leather jacket - have I got something wrong?

Don't you chuckle when you see pilots getting out of their spam can whilst wearing a pukka flying suit covered with badges. Oh, and don't forget the wings. Some people award themselves more than one pair.

OK OK, so I wear a flying suit in my wooden cabrio. However, I don't stagger around in it in the heat posing but actually looking silly - it comes off straight away unless my bits are still thawing out.