PDA

View Full Version : Spare keys for Cessnas

Romeo Romeo
2nd Jul 2002, 17:19
Does anyone know where you can get spare keys for Cessnas cut?

Archard
2nd Jul 2002, 17:51
I have had additional Cessna keys cut at Elstree aerodrome, but do not have a name or telephone number, as this was arranged for me by Crest Maintenance who maintain my aircraft. You could try ringing them on 020 8207 4204 and if you mention my name I am sure they will do what they can to advise you.

Hope this might be of some help. :)

Romeo Romeo
2nd Jul 2002, 18:02
Thanks Arch, I'll give them a go.

Archard
2nd Jul 2002, 19:35
This is further to my last in that 4204 is unfortunately a fax number. The correct number which I should have given is 020 8207 4578. With aplogies for any inconvenience caused.

Chilli Monster
2nd Jul 2002, 21:26
RR

If they're like Piper keys then any branch of Mr Minit would do you. If you look at them you'll notice they're not much different (if at all) to commercially available ones - without the aviation mark up!

Failing that - ask David or Martin at Airspeed (You do fly from Derby don't you?)

CM

Who has control?
3rd Jul 2002, 09:38
I think that you will find that after a few years wear, most Cessna keys become interchangable!:)

It has always amazed me that aircraft keys are so low-tech, bearing in mind how expensive the aircraft is. The locks on my desk drawers offer the same amount of security.

Even my car key has a built-in transponder to inhibit the ignition. We leave aircraft unattended, protected only by locks that yield to a small screwdriver.

The value of the aircraft is not reflected by the quality of the locks, and that applies to new aircraft as well as old.

Romeo Romeo
3rd Jul 2002, 11:59
Chilli, I fly from Tatenhill, but I used to fly from Derby so I know David and Martin quite well.

QNH 1013
3rd Jul 2002, 17:30
RR, I got two Mooney keys cut at Bestwicks in Allenton (Derby) while I waited. I didn't mention they were for an aircraft and they cost £1.30 each from memory. That was about two months ago. They seemed to have all the blanks in stock.
To save endless confusion between the two keys I painted the Mag key with a red M. Saves a lot of time and worn locks.

LowNSlow
3rd Jul 2002, 19:12
If you've ever owned a (non-BMW) Mini, the ignition key from it will probably fit :D

The test for this is if you can withdraw the key in the "Start" position. It WILL surprise you (if it's the original ignition).

Bouncy Landing
3rd Jul 2002, 23:02
Having one day arrived at the airfield and discovered myself sans Cessna key, I had a spare cut at the local hardware shop and keep it on my car key ring, just in case. Only after I paid about £1.50 did I admit it was for an aircraft.

Sir George Cayley
4th Jul 2002, 00:45
I have a friend whose very old - very worn - Morris Minor door key opens and starts just about every a/c on the field!
With thefts of headsets, fuel, radios etc on the increase I'm surprised Transair dont do an aftermarket security device for Cessnas and Pipers. Hmmmm Thinks, wheres that number for the Patents Office?

Sir George Caley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everymans door