PDA

View Full Version : Could someone plz explain about FAA IR conv? The implications?

Kapooley
2nd Jul 2002, 15:53
Could someone please explain to me in plain English how big a deal is it to convert the FAA IR into the JAA IR?

How much money can you save doing it this way? And what is the route, is it JAA ATPL writtens, JAA CPL and then FAA IR and then the conversion to JAA IR?

Grivation
2nd Jul 2002, 17:30
The process -
10 hrs FNPT2, 5 hrs a/c, 170a test, flight test.

The implications -
Employers will be on the lookout for people who have taken this 'shortcut'. I would suggest, purely from a future employment perspective, that this road should be travelled by experienced pilots doing conversions and not by those looking for an initial rating.

Kapooley
2nd Jul 2002, 18:15
Many thanks for your reply!

So I take it that its not a viable option for most wannabes? I was under the impression that employers were only interested in IFR hours and the actual licence. But its not a short cut though? The only short cut is through the JAA minefield? Is this correct???

Gin Slinger
2nd Jul 2002, 18:18
I think it would be respectable thing for someone who fancies doing a spot of flight instructing Stateside, returning 18 months later with a fist full of multi-time.

Grivation
2nd Jul 2002, 19:04
Gin, as long as you've used the rating in anger then I couldn't see that there would be too many objections.

Gin Slinger
2nd Jul 2002, 19:59
Grav: yes, of course, I'll be CFII-ing all the way...

gorky
2nd Jul 2002, 20:23
this proves it s a question of money again.FAA training is the same as the CAA/JAR but with the FAA you can log more time and more hours.So why not a FAA with 1000h then a convertion.
if the CAA accepts the FAA IFR, it means the US training is not so bad.Probably better...now the CAA have to accept that no only British pilot know to fly.
EU training or US training, up to you.!it's a free market!