PDA

View Full Version : A330 exhaust causing dirt build up?

fursl62
19th Aug 2016, 06:07
Hello all,

Any A330 drivers here?

Have a look at the below short video especially from position 0:21. Maximize the video and look in particular at the region on the underside of the A330, just to the rear of and below the horizontal stabilizer, which is the area leading to the exhaust pipe. You will note that at that area it is rather dirty with some dark patches.

My question is, is this normal? Do you believe the patchy/dirty area was caused by the exhaust pipe near that area? Or alternatively, do you think that it was scraped during operation? I looked up the registation and could not find any incidents involving a scrape etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBY3-sZkqBA

What do you think?

Tu.114
20th Aug 2016, 12:57
Would this not have been better asked at the Spotters subforum?

However, the 330 in the (slightly boring) video You linked to looks not in the slightest bit unusual to me. Reflections from the ground, the APU air inlet, a little bit of filth around the APU bay doors - all standard and present on all 330s I have had the pleasure to taxi behind until now.

If You like, look up some photos on dedicated spotter sites. You will likely find that the general APU installation with the air inlet below the tail is present on all A320 to 340.

Piper19
22nd Aug 2016, 01:14
I don't see anything unusual. In fact the a/c looks pretty clean. I think what you see are the vent ports etc on the APU doors. These are two large clamshell doors underneath the APU so mechanics can get access to it.

jack11111
22nd Aug 2016, 01:56
That's a nice brisk towing speed. I see the APU is running so I guess someone is ready on the brakes in the cockpit.

fursl62
23rd Aug 2016, 07:23
Thanks for your input all; very interesting!