PDA

View Full Version : GPS Coordinates download?

QDMQDMQDM
1st Jul 2002, 21:28
Is there any way of downloading the lat / long of all the VRPs and other useful waypoints into my GPS III Pilot?

It's an incredible fag having to find the coordinates when you want to program a waypoint and then there's the risk of entering them incorrectly. Is there any list or something like that?

QDM

Keef
2nd Jul 2002, 00:04
Yes. If you have the right lead, Navbox Proplan will allow you to download and upload data between GPS and computer.

I often produce my Plog on Navbox, including adding in any waypoints of my own. When I 'm happy with it on-screen, with all the charting shown, I print the plot and upload it to the GPS. That way, they all match.

After the trip, I sometimes download the track from the GPS to see how bad my navigation was.

englishal
2nd Jul 2002, 08:25
If you want to download waypoints of stuff like VORs / NDBs / Airports / intersections / fixes etc etc then Aeroplanner.com let you download 'datachunks' which you can then upload to your GPS. If you are flying in the US you can download all the US VRPs, not sure about the UK ones though...The other way is as Keef says, use some flight planning software (I use Jeppesen FLightstar), and drop your waypoints onto the VRPs, then upload them to your GPS.

Cheers
EA:)

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Jul 2002, 09:54
Thanks a lot. I'll take a look at those. I'm presuming you need the expensive version of Navbox to do this?

QDM

Simon W
2nd Jul 2002, 18:10
Yeh, looking at http://www.navbox.nl/ seems to confirm only ProPlan supports the GPS interface and not QuickPlan.

Regards,

Simon

bcfc
3rd Jul 2002, 13:39
Yes, only Proplan supports GPS and its probably the one to go for. Both are excellent - I had Quickplan to start and then upgraded.

QDMQDMQDM
3rd Jul 2002, 14:18
Thanks a lot, all. Am ordering Proplan today.

V. useful forum this and most well-behaved!

QDM

Negative Charlie
3rd Jul 2002, 15:37
Another one worth looking at is Ozi Explorer (http://www.oziexplorer.com/) , which can be downloaded for evaluation before parting with a penny. I've been using an older version of this for a couple of years with great success.

-C