PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen VFR charts - paper version - where?

aeronautANE
14th Aug 2016, 06:58
Hello,

I've ordered yesterday a couple of Jep VFR Charts from pilotwarehouse.co.uk and I have just found out that they have a bad reputation as a seller. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the order but I haven't been able to find any other place where the Jep VFR paper charts are still available for my area at least (LR-1, LR-2 & LR/LU).

Does anyone know if there's another place where I could order these charts?

Thank you.

S-Works
14th Aug 2016, 08:33
I thought they had discontinued them?

Genghis the Engineer
14th Aug 2016, 09:35
They did, about 4 years ago - to the great annoyance of many of us who massively preferred them to the CAA charts.

Anybody taking an order for them, is definitely not to be trusted.

G

stevelup
14th Aug 2016, 14:07
PW website hasn't been updated for years. For example, they're still showing Edition 39 of the Southern England half mil!

Were you actually able to complete checkout and pay?

aeronautANE
14th Aug 2016, 16:18
Well, I was hoping that there's still a small stock somewhere. I really don't know what other chart should I buy instead, I saw there's an AirMillion version but @ 1:1mil scale and I don't know exactly how detailed it is compared to Jep.

@stevelup:
I've completed the order but at the end an automatic e-mail came for the order confirmation which stated that the debit/credit card is not charged until the items are shipped so today morning I've sent a reply e-mail for cancelling the order.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Aug 2016, 18:57
AirMillion are great for long trips and planning, but the ICAO half-million is usually a good idea as well, at least for anywhere you're likely to be landing or manoeuvring. Or, use an electronic system on a GPS with those charts, and an AirMillion as a paper backup - that works well enough.

I don't recognise the LR and LU designations you mentioned -what part of the world do you want charts for?

G

aeronautANE
14th Aug 2016, 19:21
Yes, now I'm doing a lot of XC flights and as exercise I'm using the paper charts for planning. I also use SkyDaemon and it's beautiful but my instructor suggested that I should also get accustomed to use a paper chart during flight in case my tablet craps-out and anyhow I need to have a paper back-up in the airplane.

The country designated by LR is Romania.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Aug 2016, 23:18
In the first instance, perhaps check what is in use for exams in Romania?

In the long term, SkyDemon + AirMillion seem a perfectly viable choice to me.

G

chevvron
15th Aug 2016, 05:34
If anyone does get them and they're 4 years old, be very wary about using them as many changes of airspace have occurred, one of them being the re-designation of Class A CTRs as Class D airspace.

ChickenHouse
15th Aug 2016, 06:40
The last and now discontinued Jepp VFR charts on paper date until end of 2013, before even SERA came into place - therefore I believe it is valid to think of these paper charts as wall decoration only now.

A good moving map software and a millions paper charts as backup are the modern replacement. For most VFR flight the million charts are sufficient, at least until the ground butt heads introduce more and more features only flyable by GPS. If they - and we - continue as we do, there will be no more VFR flying, but only GPS flying, anyways. To me it is shocking how many pilots actually look mainly on the iPad screen instead of out.

aeronautANE
15th Aug 2016, 13:23
Thank you for the answers guys! I've ordered an AirMillion map in order to use it for planning exercises and as backup in the plane and for navigating I'll continue using SkyDemon.

ChickenHouse
17th Aug 2016, 14:48
Thank you for the answers guys! I've ordered an AirMillion map in order to use it for planning exercises and as backup in the plane and for navigating I'll continue using SkyDemon.
Superb combination! This is what I use for UK, I just added Jepp MFDVFR for all European coverage, where Skydemon has some weak spots.

Bobby Hart
17th Aug 2016, 15:58
Hi ChickenHouse,

It would be great to hear about the areas in which you think SkyDemon is weak in Europe, since I can feed that into our data/feature development processes.

Sometimes we decide that data isn't promulgated robustly enough for us to integrate, but in those circumstances we can usually contact the authority on the matter and highlight such issues - which gives them an opportunity to improve to the point where we can integrate.

Feel free to PM if this feels too much like thread drift!

ChickenHouse
18th Aug 2016, 09:56
@Bobby Hart: thanks for the offer, I'll prefer the direct forums.skydemon.aero path, but if there is something outside that, I'll drop a note.